• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIRUS ATTACK!!!! HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rookie123

Registered
I was downloading the nero burning program, i clicked setup and the pc turned off. When i turn it back on, the windows loading screen goes on and then it goes into a black screen. I tryed running on safe mode the next boot and it stayed frozen. Can anyone help?

I would contact Ahead and inform them that the file they are offering on their site possibily has a virus and then ask them if they have any instructions to help rectify your situation

I was downloading the nero burning program, i clicked setup and the pc turned off. When i turn it back on, the windows loading screen goes on and then it goes into a black screen. I tryed running on safe mode the next boot and it stayed frozen. Can anyone help?

Sounds like an overheating processor. Even more if it was a BSOD and reboot.

It's possible that your symptoms are because of the heatsink not being seated properly.

Usually not a virus.

Sounds like an overheating processor. Even more if it was a BSOD and reboot.

It's possible that your symptoms are because of the heatsink not being seated properly.

Usually not a virus.

I agree, do you have a bootable cd or floppy to test the theory?

As I suggested in another thread a good tool to have handy is BartPe, when you build the cd you have a lot of tools like spyware,torjan, and anit virus programs on the cd that will run from it. (I have three or four of them floating around, even on a pen drive.)

Do a search for BartPE, can't remember the web site off the top of my finger tips...

If it was pirating being done on your behalf all I have to say is in my Nelson voice
HA! HA! Dingus

Seriously though I doubt it was a legit version that did this to your pc...

Generally speaking, I have not seen nor heard of a virus making a machine behave in this manner. I agree that it is more likely another issue.

If you were pirating this program, then for shame and do not admit so in these forums. If you were getting a legit version from Ahead, then feel free to share that info.

Uh.. you shouldn't be pirating really...

Uh...Did I ever mention that I was pirating????? I was downloading a trial version to see if i liked the program or not. Thanks for the help.

For those who really would like to help, I would like to add something because I probablly wasnt to clear on explaining what happened.

After I was done downloading the TRIAL, I clicked on setup and then the pc froze. That is when I restarted the pc, and now it doesnt want to pass the win logo screen. I doubt it has to do with heating because this never happened until the now. I have some really important files in my drive that I dont want to lose. I would greatly appreciate any help thanks.

1st, you won't loose your files unless you format the drive, you can plug your drive to another PC and access the files, back up them or whatever you want to do.

2nd, you can even check your drive for viruses if that other PC has a good anti-virus program.

3rd, something like this happened to me, thing is I can't remember right now what was it. I think maybe a good virus scan can solve it, and lastly if everything fails, a reformat is your save.

Last edited:
4th - make sure you do regular backsup :D

you can do a repair in XP that onyl repairs system files and leaves everything else in tack, this is the 2nd repair option during the install, not using the recovery option, that is if you are using XP.

Uh...Did I ever mention that I was pirating????? I was downloading a trial version to see if i liked the program or not. Thanks for the help.

For those who really would like to help, I would like to add something because I probablly wasnt to clear on explaining what happened.

After I was done downloading the TRIAL, I clicked on setup and then the pc froze. That is when I restarted the pc, and now it doesnt want to pass the win logo screen. I doubt it has to do with heating because this never happened until the now. I have some really important files in my drive that I dont want to lose. I would greatly appreciate any help thanks.

asuming you legitimately downloaded it

try going into safe mode or "last known good configuration"

I think that it's a good idea to slave your drive into another machine. First, make sure that the machine you use is protected with up to date AV. I like AVG. Also, Spybot v 1.6 is a good tool to have installed.

Slave the drive then scan the drive. If clean, copy your data to the working machine.

Then put your drive back into your machine. Run memtest86+ to check your RAM. Also, consider a repair install of your OS as mentioned above.

EXACTLY.. i was looking for your post to say you were doing this and i couldnt find it..

whatever happened to giving someone a chance?? :eek:

note: he did not say Where he downloaded it, thus rising concern that he could have illegialy obtained the said software. not saying he did and i'm not passing judgment, however, when a vauge description of a problem or a funky topic arises that concerns piracy, it needs to be closely watched, remember illegal activities are a no - no here ;)

I'll add this too. While possible, it is highly unlikely that any one got a virus by downloading software from Ahead. Again, possible but I wouldn't bet a single penny on that.

With that said, I'll again say that I don't think that the software install caused the problem described. I would be genuinely interested in the real cause of the problem.

http://www.nero.com/enu/support-downloads.html

Look everyone. There is a trial version of Nero. Some try it before they buy it. No need to accuse anyone of pirating. Please do not let your guilty conscience make you accuse others of doing something wrong.
:D

Ok, now that is out of the way.

There could be a few things that went wrong. There is a few things that can go your way to save the day.

Few questions.
Do you have a spare compatible machine.
Does the machine boot into BIOS. (to check temps and such)
Can you boot a disc.

What could of went wrong. Sometimes even though rare. the drivers for NERO can freak out a system. A program I had on my wife's machine freaked out when I went to install Nero. Not like your result. But near enough, where I think.. It may be the drivers for Nero freaking out something you have installed on Windows.. A major conflict in drivers.

Nero in the past has had issue with DVD players and such. Which made video playback crazy/

Last edited:
doesn't look like a virus at all. Looks more like a hardware issue. I'd backup your stuff in safe mode and format/install windows. Then so some burin testing to see where the problem lies, with temperature under supervision

Back