• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Giel no heatspreaders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollerBall

Registered
These GIEL rams look pretty nice but I noticed they don't have heatspreaders. I'm ordering more RAM since I can't overclock my 800mhz ram past 890 because I'm using water and theres little airflow on the RAM.

Am I unlikely to hit the advertised speeds because there isn't any heatspreaders?

Any reccomendations other than that on the site? If not the GIEL ram, how is the XMS2 dominator RAM, since on SCAN it's only £38, slightly more expensive than the GIEL but with heatspreaders. But no glowing dragon head :p.

Or there's the OCZ SLI RAMwhich looks pretty good, has heatspreaders and is only £38. But I'm a bit iffy about OCZ RAM since my current ram is the plat OCZ 800mhz and I can't push that very far.

Then there's the OCZ RAM with the HTC heatsink type thing on it for £38, or the Plat OCZ I have atm just higher freq for £35

So many rams, too little time. I'm leaning towards the HTC one, just because of the heatsink. And it's not too expensive either.

Thoughts?

You're fine without heatspreaders. You should keep airflow on your RAM regardless though. If the only overclocking issue you're having now is heat, slap a fan on. You just need a couple of rubber bands to hold it on and you're set :)

You're fine without heatspreaders. You should keep airflow on your RAM regardless though. If the only overclocking issue you're having now is heat, slap a fan on. You just need a couple of rubber bands to hold it on and you're set :)

I've got a 90mm on the top of my case (TT Armor). I might try removing it off there and putting it on. I need to remove the 90mm by my HDD anyway since I havn't even had it on (Too noisy).

I'm changing all my case fans to Nexus real quiet 120mms. Any reccomendations for the 90mms?

That Geil will do the rated 1066 easy.A friend just bought 2x1gb of it and it runs at 1132 so far with 2.3v and no H/S's

Hmm, that's awesome. Does he have much airflow on his RAM though? I'm going to chuck a fan onto my current DIMMS tomorrow to see how the OC goes. Intake our Exhaust?

Back