• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solid mobo for a 8400 CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Hello there folks,
I'm looking to upgrade my system with a new CPU, mobo, RAM and perhaps a HD but that is optional and down the road.

Have
Opty 165 @ 2.6
2 GiG RAM
8800GT 512 MB

Looking into 8400 or perhaps 8500 (whichever overclocks better), decent mobo and 4Gig RAM.

There is no real budget limit but I don't want to pay more than I really need. On my current rig the most expensive thing was RAM and afterwards I tried a cheap version from my friend and run it at divider with almost no loss in performance. And his RAM cost about 1/3 of mine

So here it goes...
Rig will be a gaming rig only. No SLI or CF not now, not down the road. I have an old Audigy sound card, it is really old like 5-6 years I think. No idea which one it is (not Audigy 2 thats for sure), but worst case scenario I don't need some great onboard sound.

So solid mobo and RAM for me please :)

Here are the options for mobos: (local komplett)
http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10492

No idea what RAM I should go for but if running on a divider is not a big performance kill for games that I don't need top stuff :)

Thank you for your time!

The P5Q will do nicely. The P45 chipset will clock that E8400/E8500 no sweat. You might want to look into some better cooling over the stock cooler for the chip.

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro- Cheap but effective
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 - A little pricey but quiet and effective
XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE - Very nice cooler for the price
Thermalright Ultra-120 (TRUE) which is king of the hill

Either one of these will do very nicely: P5Q Deluxe ,P5Q PRO ,P5Q-E .

Most will swear by the P5Q-E tho :cool:

And that heatsink is the one to get for sure!

I have a P5Q-deluxe , and a E8500.... hit 4ghz (after returning my brand new corsair dominators 1066 2x2gig - faulty out the box!) with absolutely no stress whatsoever....

What fan would you recommend with Thermalright Ultra 120? I have pretty nice airflow in my Antec 1200 case but I would like a CPU fan as well, gonna push the CPU hardest I can :)

The only one I wouldn't recommend is the EP45 series, by Gigabyte. It's awfully picky and just doesn't POST when something is even a little bit wrong. It's the only board I've owned, and I have stacks of them, which craps out this easily.

Back