• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do all 802.11n routers really suck that much? Recommend me one that doesn't!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I've been looking for a solid 802.11n router for a while and I just can't seem to find one that is fast and doesn't drop signals! I'm tempted by the Buffalo WZR2-G300N, because I hear they make reliable products...same for the Asus RT-N15. The problem is that I can't seem to find any reviews of these models.

The other problem is that DD-WRT doesn't seem to support 802.11n as of yet. Most routers made by the bigger companies (Netgear, D-Link, etc) don't seem to be supported, and all of the Linksys ones that are compatible with DD-WRT seem to have tons of problems.

Any suggestions?

I've been using a Netgear WNR2000 for the past 5 months, and have had zero problems with it. I guess I'd recommend that, unless you're hell-bent on putting Tomato or DD-WRT on it. The WNR2000 is not supported by any 3rd party firmwares I've encountered.

ya was about to say the main issue is N is not official, so there is no set standard to go by yet, so companies kind of do what they think is best.

ya was about to say the main issue is N is not official, so there is no set standard to go by yet, so companies kind of do what they think is best.
But that shouldn't mean that all of their products have low throughput, crappy signal quality, and repeated signal drops (as all of the reviews I've read seem to indicate).

That Netgear one looks half decent though...no DD-WRT support, unfortunately, but it looks like DD-WRT doesn't work too well on any N router, so maybe I should just drop that requirement...

it could, since companies can choose to do what they want with it to cut corners, and it seems they all do the same :)

i am sure when N become standard, then DD-wrt and other flavor will begin work on it, no point in coding for something that can change day by day.

do you really need N right now? you dont actually get anywhere near the said speeds...

I've got a Linksys WRT350N v1 and it works great, with both original firmware and DD-WRT. Fast and no dropping signals. Do note that you may need a "dual-band" (802.11a/b/g/n) to support 270+ Mbps if you've got many networks in your area, as they've realized that wide channels on 2.4GHz cause interference where there are many networks sharing the area.

not many other networks near me, but I would like N because we've got a pretty big house and the signal seems to drop off pretty fast as you get away from the router. I did an informal test the other day using dslreports.com and got 2.7Mbps when right next to my router (Microsoft MN-700), but only 1.0Mbps when in my bedroom.

you will only get the rated throughput if you are standing next to the AP with your device.

if you should go 10 feet away with NO obstructions (meaning no furniture, no walls to have interference from etc,) then you WILL still see slower speeds.

its how it works. its gay. but at least you should be almost at a full duplex link.

True, but given that the router I have now is an 802.11g device, even if I was getting 1/3 of its rated throughput (54Mbps * .333 = 18) when standing right next to the router and 1/10 (5.4Mbps) of it when I'm in my room, I shouldn't see a drop in internet speed since that's less than 5.4Mbps, right?

True, but given that the router I have now is an 802.11g device, even if I was getting 1/3 of its rated throughput (54Mbps * .333 = 18) when standing right next to the router and 1/10 (5.4Mbps) of it when I'm in my room, I shouldn't see a drop in internet speed since that's less than 5.4Mbps, right?

your device is probably 802.11b/g compatible, meaning the slowest link speed you may see is 1MB - this will be because its dropped back to 802.11b.

plus, the speeds dont drop that way.
they step down like this:
802.11g
54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 12, 9, 6
802.11b
11, 5.5, 2,1

note there is no inbetween. its either 54mb, or 48mb. if it cant establish 48mb it tries at the next speed which is 36.

if you are on 802.11b, and it cant get 11mb then you will get 5.5mb etc etc.

huh...I didn't know that. Let me see if I have this right:

If I'm right next to the router, it'll establish a 54Mbps link. As I move away, the signal quality degrades. Eventually I'll have moved too far away for 54Mbps to work properly, so it'll shift down to 48 (because 48Mbps has a farther signal range than 54Mbps?). Then as I move farther away, it'll shift down to 36, 24, etc. Eventually I'll be so far away from the router that 6Mbps won't work, so it'll shift down into the 802.11b region. Is that right?

Doesn't this mean that 802.11n will help? I'll get 270 Mbps right next to the router, then as I move away, it'll drop down in stages, but when I get all the way back to my bedroom, I should be getting at least 5Mbps, right?

huh...I didn't know that. Let me see if I have this right:

If I'm right next to the router, it'll establish a 54Mbps link. As I move away, the signal quality degrades. Eventually I'll have moved too far away for 54Mbps to work properly, so it'll shift down to 48 (because 48Mbps has a farther signal range than 54Mbps?). Then as I move farther away, it'll shift down to 36, 24, etc. Eventually I'll be so far away from the router that 6Mbps won't work, so it'll shift down into the 802.11b region. Is that right?

Doesn't this mean that 802.11n will help? I'll get 270 Mbps right next to the router, then as I move away, it'll drop down in stages, but when I get all the way back to my bedroom, I should be getting at least 5Mbps, right?

There are many variables: chipset and antenna quality, firmware and power setting, distance, wall thickness, etc. My WRT350N is upstairs on top of a cabinet. A WUSB300N is used to connect a computer downstairs, over 100 feet away, through ~4 inches of a wall that has multiple coax, ethernet, and power lines in it. The computer gets a 270Mbps connection at best, 130Mbps at worst. Didn't expect it to do that well when I set it up, but I was lucky :)

Last edited:
yea pretty much.
remember its half duplex so no matter what, you will never EVER get the same quality as a wired connection

Back