• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Flash Drive Problem - Can't copy large files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfunk

I have HP 16GB USB drive and I'm trying to copy some files which are 4.5GB. I can't copy over the files so I tried to format using NTFS but NTFS option is not available. Only available option is FAT32. Anything I can do to copy over the files?

Actually the NTFS option becomes available after optimizing the drive for performance ("Optimize for performance"), under the drive's properties in Device Manager--> "Policies" tab. Otherwise the FAT32 limit is 4GB.

another question,

is there a way to convert back to FAT32 w/out reformatting?

I doubt there is one, but I don't know for certain. When I need to change the FS on a drive, I just format it.

why do you need fat32? are you using any systems that are:

windows Me or lower
OS X
Linux

?

If not your better off with NTFS

you coudl've separated files with WinRAR. i did that when i tried saving Supreme Commander on my USB :p

i hate to split the image into 2 parts to be able to fit.

good to know, it can read NTFS OS X but i dont think it can write? or did some new update fix that cause last i used leopard i could not write to NTFS

Back