• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone sold my friend a pirated copy of XP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
And I am furious about it. I want so badly to report this shady person to MS, but I don't know if a name and phone number is enough for them to go off. I don't agree with a practice like this, and would really like some information about reporting to Microsoft what has happened.

MS has a clear procedure for reporting such things. Im sure a name phone and possible address would help greatly.

Z

c'mon don't report me. I really needed the money...I blame the economy. I needed a ticket to go visit my daughter for christmas.

lol thats pretty messed up. Was it a pirated CD? or was it a computer w/ unlicensed OS?

It was a computer with an unlicensed copy of Windows. He called me asking why the mouse hadn't been working. When I went over to take a look at it, the first thing I did was try to make sure it was up to date, and naturally it didn't even pass WGA when trying to update. I have the rig now, and will most likely put my old copy of W2K on it, since it is a PII system, but will wait to see what happens after reporting this to MS.

It was a computer with an unlicensed copy of Windows. He called me asking why the mouse hadn't been working. When I went over to take a look at it, the first thing I did was try to make sure it was up to date, and naturally it didn't even pass WGA when trying to update. I have the rig now, and will most likely put my old copy of W2K on it, since it is a PII system, but will wait to see what happens after reporting this to MS.

I thought WGA for XP was pretty much a beaten, dead horse? I can even get WGA to pass running in wine.

Unfortunately ignorance is no exception to the law so you'll have to buy your own copy now.

I have an unused copy of W2K that I will most give to him. It is just a system used in a shop networked to the main office system to keep track of cars mileage as they come in and go out of the shop, along with checking diagnostic codes. It's not anything like a file server or anything like that, so I think W2K should suffice. If I knew about Linux compatibility with the software he uses I might look into just setting up Ubuntu, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Back