• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with vista.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbobc

ive got a few problems that have just appeared and i dont know why :confused:

first, when i delete something, it doesnt delete it to the recycle bin, it just says 'are you sure you want to permanently delete these files' and then permanently deletes them.

second, when i doubleclick on a blank disk in my computer it tells me i dont have sufficient rights to perform this action, i have always doubleclicked on blank disks this way to put files on them. when i right click and click on format it tries to format the dvdrom drive not the disk :confused:

it may be something simple or me being stupid or something, but i dont know why this is happening. i havent changed any settings and ive done a full virus scan with 2 different av programs, i havent downloaded or been to any dodgy websites or had any dodgy emails or anything like that either

I think there is an option to have deleted files go to the recycling bin or to bypass it..... I'm not on mine now so i can't remember where it is... somewhere in the controll panel. as far as the popup asking you if you want to delete files thats UAC in vista and its a pain. I have disabled mine.... is that good or bad? I guess thats up to you some say its good and others don't like it. The UAC is also making it difficult to open or formate your blank disc. I would try and disable the UAC and then try out your stuff. If it works then you know its the UAC. Do you have all the updates for Vista installed?

Ok i had some time to play and if you right click on the trash can then go to properties you'll see the option to remove deleted file from computer instead of sending them to the trash can.

as far as the dvd thing goes, that sounds a lot like something similar that happened with me, and I had to remove the upper and lower filters out of the registry... Im sure there's a walkthrough around here somewhere on how to do that...

Ok i had some time to play and if you right click on the trash can then go to properties you'll see the option to remove deleted file from computer instead of sending them to the trash can.

its not that. the box isnt checked, it isnt UAC either cos ive had it on longer than ive had this problem. its somthing else! its just damn irritating.

is there nothing else i can do?

You may have a corrupted Recycle Bin, so at an elevated command prompt (Run as administrator), type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and press Enter (you may have to do this for each HDD partition in your system.) Reboot, and Vista will create another Recycle Bin in the root directory (including any other partitions that it needs to be recreated.)

I assume you're logged on w/ an administrative account. It could be that the account is corrupted, so you might want to try creating another account w/ administrative rights. You might also want to try running the System File Checker from an elevated command prompt, by typing sfc /scannow and ENTER.

thx dude! :)

i tried the sfc scan and it found no issue's but just to be clear, it said, 'beginning verification phase of system scan' then when it got to 100% it said, 'windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations'.

with it saying it was starting the verification phase, i assumed there would be other phase's it would go through to scan the system. is there? or is that it?

like i said just so i'm clear as ive never used it before. :)

does it mean its not corrupted then too?

The "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" message from the System File Checker means that the integrity of all the protected system files on your PC is okay. If you haven't already, try my other suggestions in regards to deleting the Recycle Bin from the command prompt, and creating another account w/ administrative rights.

i tried to create another recycle bin but it says 'the system cannot find the file specified'.

???

edit. sorry i missed out the $ sign. it seemed to work but i havent rebooted yet. just about to.

re-edit. no it didnt work. i tried changing all the check boxes just to see if i could reset it somehow but that didnt work either.

Last edited:
Back