• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest Video card under 200 Dollars

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rick James

Disabled
Fastest Video card around 200 Dollars

I'd love to spend 500 dollars on a 295 GTX but the lady would cut my ****ing nuts off if i did. SO.. I'm looking for the fastest card around 200 dollars. Anything is a good step up from my 9500GT. Thanks :beer:

Edit : Nvidia please. :)

Last edited:
look at ebay or even in classies sometimes you can find a gtx 260 for that price. that would be my choice..

What is faster a GX2 or a 260?

It's not so clear cut. The 260 has more RAM and greater bandwidth. The 9800GX2 has more cruch power, but if it's memory gets saturated it will start to chug a bit.

Some games may not work well w/ the GX2 due to its SLI nature, and driver support on the GX2 isn't that great. The GX2 puts out a lot of heat as well.

Personally, I'd rather get a 260, but it really depends on what you play.

I'd love to spend 500 dollars on a 295 GTX but the lady would cut my ****ing nuts off if i did. SO.. I'm looking for the fastest card around 200 dollars. Anything is a good step up from my 9500GT. Thanks :beer:

Edit : Nvidia please. :)

tell her you're Rick James, *****!

lol j/k

It's not so clear cut. The 260 has more RAM and greater bandwidth. The 9800GX2 has more cruch power, but if it's memory gets saturated it will start to chug a bit.

Some games may not work well w/ the GX2 due to its SLI nature, and driver support on the GX2 isn't that great. The GX2 puts out a lot of heat as well.

Personally, I'd rather get a 260, but it really depends on what you play.

Personally, for the same money, I'd rather get a 55nm GTX 260 Core 216. OTOH, for the same money, the original 260 vs GX2? GX2.

On Newegg right now though, the 260 is around $60 more.. Not worth it IMHO.

HD4870 1gb is closer to $200 than any GTX260 on newegg. Though, for some reason, you only asked for nvidia.

The GTX260 core 216 55nm is a bit faster than the HD4870 I believe since last drivers, they were swapping places due to the drivers being released. Either way you will not be dissapointed with a 260 or a 4870.

At lower resolution(1280x1024 and below) and with no AA, GX2 should be faster than any other single GPU card.
But frames should drop badly with high AA compared to GTX series.

unless you play crysis go with a gtx 260

I had all 3 cards mentioned, there's not much diff between a gtx 260 55nm and a gtx 280, the 9800gx2 really wasnt that great at high res, gtx 260 is faster thana single 4870 in almost everything... 9800gx2 was good in crysis but didnt impress otherwise compared to the gtx 260

I only play CS:S, BF2 and BF2142 at this moment so i'm sure this card will dominate in these games.

How will this card run COD4?

Let me stress it for the last time. The GX2 is 219.99. Cheapest 260 is 259.99. I don't want to spend that much. I didn't even want to spend over 200 but i'm settling for the GX2.

Let me stress it for the last time. The GX2 is 219.99. Cheapest 260 is 259.99. I don't want to spend that much. I didn't even want to spend over 200 but i'm settling for the GX2.
Then its better you get something cheap and save for a bigger buy next time. GX2 will be out same time as some of its smaller cousins. Moreover, dual GPU means more power,more heat. I would settle for a cheap 9800GTX+/HD4850 for the games you mentioned.
BTW, is that rig in your sig going to run this card ?

Then its better you get something cheap and save for a bigger buy next time. GX2 will be out same time as some of its smaller cousins. Moreover, dual GPU means more power,more heat. I would settle for a cheap 9800GTX+/HD4850 for the games you mentioned.
BTW, is that rig in your sig going to run this card ?

The power supply and processor will be getting an upgrade as well. :)

What res do you play at Rick? I hope its significant. Otherwise you could easily get away with a HD4850 1gb.

What res do you play at Rick? I hope its significant. Otherwise you could easily get away with a HD4850 1gb.

Maybe i'm going at this all wrong. I play CS at 1280X1024? CS is pretty much the game i play DAILY. Whats the best card around 200 dollars that will excel at 1280X1024and CS?

Maybe i'm going at this all wrong. I play CS at 1280X1024? CS is pretty much the game i play DAILY. Whats the best card around 200 dollars that will excel at 1280X1024and CS?

Pretty much anything from a 9600GT on up. The GX2 (or any of the other cards mentioned) are kinda overkill at that res, although I did have a 1280x1024 screen when I switched from 8800GT to 9800GX2, and there WAS a noticable improvement..

Back