• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 @3.6 - 1.144v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aztroth

ok, as I haven't been working with 45nm chips for very long (had an E6750 before this if you guys remember), my question is this:

is 1.144 a nice and low vCore for an E8400 at 3.6? I can boot lower but it's not 24hr prime stable. I was actually thinking about going lower and trying to burn it in a bit. and I just thought about posting the vid as a comparion, but I will have to restart to check that, so I'll edit in a minute with that, as well as pics.

First, "burn in" is BS.

Second, that isnt bad clocks for that voltage, though I bleieve 3.6Ghz with an e8400 most can get 3.6Ghz stock (VID) voltage.

thats what Im trying to figure out right now, though its a bit of a pain as my mobo when set to "auto" is automatically overclocking it and pumping in random abounts of voltage. wtf!? it keeps fluctuating from 1.016 up to 1.144 with a core clock of 341!? I could have sworn stock was 333, but maybe Im wrong...

First, disable speedstep in the Bios. Next, set the CPU voltage to Manual and change the fsb to the desired setting. I suggest 1.35v and the fsb to 450. Make sure the ram divider is 1:1. That should get you to windows.

Test that for stability, if you'd like, then start tweaking the voltage. That sounds like a pretty cherry E8400 to me ;)

I can get 450 with 1.30v but i didn't like the temps I was getting, so I pulled back to 400, and as such, I dont know how stable it was. I just know I need a better HSF to go higher than 400 right now.

Ah. Then in that case. I'd suggest setting the voltage somewhere around 1.25v(manually) and seeing how that goes.

You can always adjust down later.

like I said, I can get 400 on 1.144v... unless you were talking about setting it to 1.25v for a 450fsb...

and for the love of... I can't get this damn thing to boot with default settings! I set everything to default and it boots at 342 with 1.022 vCore (it wavers from 1.016 to 1.144, but usually sits on 1.022). how the hell am I suposed to figure out my vid if I can't get the BIOS to give me default? Unless my chip is "special" and 342 IS its default, and 1.022 IS its VID (which sounds pretty damn good to me.)

EDIT: CPUZ just showed it drop to 0.996v :eek: :screwy:

Yeah play around with it, if I set for VID voltage (taking v-droop or board giving it more power) I can hit my 4.05Ghz with stock VID or very close to stock vid.

3.6 w/ 1.14V is nice might beable to hit 4Ghz with 1.2V nicely.

As for getting VID voltage, make sure speedstep is off in the bios. It will not only drop the multi but also the VID voltage as shown in CPU-z. CoreTemp will give you your VID if you need to see it. As well turing speedstep off while tuning is ideal to get a better idea if the CPU has zero issues at said speed, then after you get a stable clock you can turn it on and see if it will work. Til then eliminate your chances of issues.

Wow, this chip is way better than my C0 E8400. My VID is 1.25, and I needed almost 1.3V just to hit 3.6GHz. 1.144v for 3.6GHz is pretty sweet for that revision.

Out of curiousity what volts does it show for stock settings (333 fsb 3.0) idle? Mine was showing .97v or something like that I think. Curious to see what you are getting, probably lower.

Out of curiousity what volts does it show for stock settings (333 fsb 3.0) idle? Mine was showing .97v or something like that I think. Curious to see what you are getting, probably lower.

That is only if you are set at auto. More relevant, and only sometimes, is the VID.

BTW for reference, I have CO chip with 1.2V VID. Via CPU-z in windows running my 450x9 its 1.232V (1.1875V Bios).

These lucky early batches rock IMO :)

At stock clocks 1V isn't hard to do at all, heck my old 65nm E6400 could do 1.075V @ 3.0Ghz well below VID of 1.3.

Oh and currently in my lovely tempature (~68-70F Room temp with humidity around 30-35%) its 27C idle and 38-41C full load orthos.

Showing .97V is probably speed step enabled unless you disabled it and dropped the voltage yourself manually to that or your board has alot of V-droop.

Wait, so the previous OC and voltage was stable?

Sounds, to me, like we are just looking for the lowest voltage at this point :beer:

pretty much... its still clicking along with no errors so far. noon tomorrow I'll drop it down another notch and so on, until I find my lowpoint. though I doubt my temps will be anywhere neear as good as yours were old skool... not only am I using air to your water, but Im using a cheap $30 masscool hsf. Im waiting for silversinksam to get his replacement hsf in so I can snag his AC Extreme.

That's a very nice vcore for 3.6. Mine does 3.6 at below VID but not 1.14V :eek: and it's an E0. What's the batch number, did you buy it used?

I dont have the batch number off hand... would have to take the hsf off to see that. but yeah, I picked it up used. got a helluva deal on it from a friend who moved onto i7.

also, just as a side note, right now I am currently running prime 95 (have been since noon today) in small fft's, as well as fallout 3 at Ultra High Settings, and talking on msn and posting on here all at once. not a single stutter, and the fps in fallout 3 has only taken like a 3-4 fps hit, and thats negligable since Im getting well over 40 fps (probably higher, but I dont have anything to read the fps from the game, unless there is one built into the console). at 4.05ghz @ 1.27v I dont think thats bad at all, lol :p

Back