• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old 486sx 33

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bull

I was told by a friend of mine that the sx and dx were the same that they just had a pin cut to disable the math coprocessor. I was just wondering if this is true. I know that this is an old computer but it was made in 1993 and still runs like a champ. Ast built it i think they are gone now. The chip is soldered in the motherboard but no cuts in it. I was wondering if i could find away to enable the math coprocessor.

I'm just messing with it and want to see what i can do with it.

If it is soldered on the mobo, I don't think there is much hope. I had one that was set in a socket, and I still don't know what you could do...

BTW, I am not sure if that pin being cut was a myth or not.

I did get one of those "overdrive" processors eventually for my SX 25, overclocked and got it up to 100, with the DX!

Step 1: take case off
Step 2: remove what few components that can be recycled
Step 3: throw anything remaining in the trash

I've lost track of how many old 386 and 486 boxes I've done the above listed steps to lately. If you want another 486-33 mobo and CPU, I can send you one for just the shipping cost. I can't seem to even give 486 stuff away.

some early SX are DX with the math co-processor disabled...
I have taken the metal plate off some 486's and when you look at the core you can clearly tell an SX from a DX... well other than the early SX's that really are DX's..
If you want i can scan some pics of 486 cores to point of the difference.

Dont bother but thanks guys i tore down the computer and not much to save there. It has a 2x cd rom a 5 and a quarter disk drive (wow) 14 4 modem and a soundcard as big as a motherboard (almost) The powersupply, i am now using on my other comp with a p200. I just found out my other ps died.

Back