• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

I bought a GA-MA790GP-DS4H to try out a Phenom 2 setup and I have run into some problems.

I was seduced by the fact that a bunch of Phenom OC WRs had been set on this board and made the mistake of ignoring the various complaints and the relative lack of BIOS updates.

In short, my 4GB kit of OCZ PC6400 won't work in the board (though it's running OK with an old 2GB kit of PC5300 for now) and it refuses to play nice with my HDDs. I have 4 working 7200.10s that I wanted to use for a RAID 5 array with a Caviar Black as a system drive, the Caviar works fine, but 2 of the 7200.10s won't format, while the other two will only run in PIO mode.

Is this just an example of the board's legendary quirkiness or do I have one that is outright broken?

Have you configured everything in bios and also use SATA ports 1-4 as 5-6 have extra settings and must be changed from default. As far as reviews consider that half of the ppl writing the reviews are IDIOTS and MORONS I have seen ppl give a 1 for no firewire I guess they did not look at the product description.

my gskill 2x2gb set wont run right in this board.. they just dont wanna do ddr2 800, so i had to drop it to 667

i was actually thinking of buying some ocz reapers/corsair doms but idk if they would have problems either

I tried more or less every possible combo:

The drives in 4 disk RAID 5, 2 Disc RAID 0, as single drives in ports 0-3 (both ACHI and Native IDE modes) and 2 discs as single drives in ports 4 and 5 (also in both ACHI and Native IDE modes).

The strange thing is that they work perfectly on my i945P-S3 backup machine, and that an old spare 7200.9 drive I have works fine in the new machine.

@ e6600, I actually received a 4GB kit of cheap assed OCZ Vista Upgrade PC6400 in the mail about half an hour ago as an RMA replacement and it works perfectly.

Well I don't really know then except that from now on I will only buy ASUS: 1 Gigabyte dead and RMA'd after 3 months, Biostar dead after bios update 5 months and Foxconn dead after ~45 min going to RMA the latter 2 tonight or in the morning.

I'm not sure about your RAM issue, but the RAID on that board was a complete pain in the ***. I was thinking I was just spoiled by ICH10R, but maybe that's not the problem after all.

Well I don't really know then except that from now on I will only buy ASUS: 1 Gigabyte dead and RMA'd after 3 months, Biostar dead after bios update 5 months and Foxconn dead after ~45 min going to RMA the latter 2 tonight or in the morning.

What are you doing to those boards Archer? :eek:

What are you doing to those boards Archer? :eek:

The foxconn was for a customer and it just stopped working in the Winders install. The Biostar died from a bad bios flash. The gigabyte died after a videocard install (that one was replaced (RMA) blown cap) had to use the gigabyte for the customer.

Back