• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 4830 installed, couple ?'s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lian Li

Well, I successfully upgraded my video card from an MSI X800XT to an MSI HD 4830OC. I have a mild OC on it at the moment, 600mhz core/1000mhz memory and so far so good. All of my Vista Experience scores are now 5.9 except for my CPU, which is a respectable 4.8.....I plan on upgrading it soon though and hope for a 5.5 or better.

In any case, I noticed that MSI Vivid is nowhere to be found. I'm running CCC v.2008.1028.2134.36851, if that matters. I've gone into the CCC and looked for a Vivid tab but there is none, i've gone into each and every one of the existing tabs and found nothing.

Is Vivid not compatible with Vista? I'm running Home Premium.

if it's a MSI related thing, you won't find it in the Catalyst drivers.
Likely you'll have to install it seperately.

Well, it seems I've got it figured out.

When running the version of CCC listed in my first post I was able to OC but Vivid was not activated for some reason. I upgraded to CCC v.9.2 and not only still didn't get Vivid but also could no longer OC as it simply wouldn't take. I uninstalled the driver and all ATI software, rebooted, did a fresh install of the drivers and software via the disc and this time Vivid was there and I can OC again!

The only strange thing I noticed this time is that when I apply a skin to the CCC, it comes out all strange looking so I just leave it at "system skin" and all is well.

Vivid was not a stand alone feature, it's included in the driver/CCC software and seeing as how I loaded the driver/CCC from the disc the first time i'm still at a loss as to why it didn't show up then but oh well, it's there now.

Usually the drivers included on the cd are old as door nails, never install drivers that come on the disc always download the latest before installing.

Yup drivers from cds are usually ancient. Upgrade to 9.1 if you still haven't, 9.2 simply won't let us OC with the msi 4830. Hopefully this will be resolved with 9.3.

Don't worry about Vivid, its an MSI marketing gimmick than anything else. You can use Avivo video which comes with the standard CCC. That's basically the same as the Vivid. :)

Also, you should use rivatuner for OCing since the standard CCC's ATi overdrive wont let us OC the MSI.

You should be able to OC that card @ 700/1100 safely.

I would just download the 9.2 drivers only from ATI and use Rivatuner to monitor/OC the card. MUCH easier.

Back