• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total beginner looking for help taking first OC steps for AMD FX4300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This time worker 3 got to 21 min "fatal error: rounding was .4978027344, expected less than .4 hardware failure detected, 1 error 0 warnings" the rest were at 26 min when i stopped it.

max cpu temp was about 47c deg, max motherboard cpu temp was 53c

bluefalcon, you know my drill!!!
yep, give it another bump of love juice and retest.....
we do this till we reach 55c on the cores then it's the fsb to 62c with a target of between 234 and 250 on the fsb.

i trusted falcon and had already bumped that juice and was testing. so this time worker #3 got to 31 min before it did the error illegal summout thing 100 times and stopped with 0 error 100 warnings.
max temps was 50c on cpu package temp and 55c on motherbord cpu temp. we doin another bump?

yep anther bump of love juice.
all cpu's are like this, it might take 2 bumps to make this increase in multi and it might take 6 to make the next.

haha no worries. so p95 passed after 36 min test temps pretty much same as what i posted before, maybe about 51 on cpu cores (amd overdrive said low margin was 19.25 =50.75c)

more volt bumps or something else now that it passed?

haha no worries. so p95 passed after 36 min test temps pretty much same as what i posted before, maybe about 51 on cpu cores (amd overdrive said low margin was 19.25 =50.75c)

more volt bumps or something else now that it passed?

Caddi said to keep going till she gets to 55c on the cores.

So another cpu multi, test, if it fails more vcore.

bluefalcon, you know my drill!!!
yep, give it another bump of love juice and retest.....
we do this till we reach 55c on the cores then it's the fsb to 62c with a target of between 234 and 250 on the fsb.

what temp is ment by fsb to 62c is that what hwmonitor calls the cpu temp under the motherboard?

so its the same temp we have been monitoring to get to 55c? its just a different method to get it to 62 after 55? is there a explain like i'm 5 version of what we doing now? i finding this interesting but prob only vaguely get what we actually doing :)

did we over clock the cpu till it became unstable (because it needed more voltage?) then increase voltage till stable and then some?

so its the same temp we have been monitoring to get to 55c? its just a different method to get it to 62 after 55? is there a explain like i'm 5 version of what we doing now? i finding this interesting but prob only vaguely get what we actually doing :)

did we over clock the cpu till it became unstable (because it needed more voltage?) then increase voltage till stable and then some?

Exactly. Every time you bump the multiplier, you get a larger overclock. When it becomes unstable, you need to give it more voltage, unless you are getting too hot. Then you need more cooling and more voltage. FSB overclocking is a bit more complicated (I'll leave that to caddi to explain) because FSB has its hands in quite a few cookie jars, bit the same principle applies. Fast till it's not stable, then more voltage. Stop at thermal limits.

yes we overclocked it till it became unstable and then you added vcore to get it back to stable.
we will clock like this, just the cpu cores till the cores reach 55c, your learning the easy way to overclock.
after the cores reach 55c we start to play with the fsb, the 200 that all the busses are based on, we raise that by adding 10 to it each step, this will clock the cpu, the htlink, the ram and the cpu/nb and after a few spins you start to have to juggle everything to keep it stable.

Very interesting. So I'm sitting here @ 20 min in to the next test and thermal marine have stabilised right around 20-21 (so 49-50c) but hit a 16 min margin so 54 c. Are we looking for that min point or where it stabilizes at?

Second right before the test I noticed funny loads on the cores. Each time I've done this let computer boot log in and let idle a few min then open hwmonitor amd overdrive and p95 (but don't start test)and let it idle watching CPU status page which gives u the load percentage bar and the scrolling scope like graph of it over time. And up till this last bump it would idle out to under 5-10% after a min or so after opening all the programs and I would start p95 test. This time all the cores were jumping around in loads and not really idling out. But it looks like this test might pass okay but are the jumping core loads a sign of instability(like bouncing up and down one core might read 50% while another was under 15 and never really settling)

so yea everything passed after 30 min but like i stated above we got to a max of about 54 (after being a max of 51 so would the next bump be too much prob?) also anything to worry about with the weird idling i talk about above?

Edit: it was 36 min of testing not 30 lol so it was alittle extra

Last edited:
he's using stock cooling so we are leaving the green stuff on.
give us a screenshot of all the cpu-z tabs and hardware monitor please.
also yesterday was m$ update time.

he's using stock cooling so we are leaving the green stuff on.
give us a screenshot of all the cpu-z tabs and hardware monitor please.
also yesterday was m$ update time.

Whats the green stuff?

i'll take screenshots at lunch probably but do you want just a hardware monitor pic from it sitting at idle or when its running something?

Yea when i shut it down to go to bed it did updates, was it doing background downloads or something before that which could have been the bouncing cores at what i though was idle (but ms was updating or something in background causing those cpu jumpin round?)?

Back