• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI or just buy new card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treyplus20

I've been thinking of updating my graphics card to boost my system's performance but I've hit a wall regarding what option would be best, buying a second 8600GT 512MB card and running SLI or just buying a newer card outright. My budget is small (pref under $100) but I want the most bang for my buck as far as performance.

Anyone wanna share some guidance as to which would be better based on my budget? I can pick up a second 8600GT for around $75.00-80.00 but if it's not going to make much of a difference graphics/performance-wise maybe I should just save up and buy a larger card down the road...

The 2nd 8600GT will help, but I think your money would be better spent if you could sell off the 8600, and get an (8800GT or 9800GT for $80-$100), (8800GTS-512 or 9800GTX+ or GTX250 for $100-$120), or if your budget allows a GTX260 for $150.

I had two 8600GTs, overclocked to 800 core and near stock on the mem... the stock 8800GTS I replaced them with absolutely destroyed those two SLI'd cards...

Don't bother buying another 8600GT... get one of the options listed...

For the prices right now you would be stupid to buy anything less than a 48XX.
Just make sure that you have a power supply that is up to the task.

I was about to post a new thread about the same thing, but saw this and decided to bump this for help. Anyways, I currently have an 8800 GTX and was trying to decide if I should add another for SLI or to upgrade to a GTX 285. Any suggestions?

My computer specs:

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Memory:
4 GB G-Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Motherboard:
EVGA nForce 680i SLI
Operating System:
Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64

I was about to post a new thread about the same thing, but saw this and decided to bump this for help. Anyways, I currently have an 8800 GTX and was trying to decide if I should add another for SLI or to upgrade to a GTX 285. Any suggestions?

GTX 285 will be a noticeable increase, especially at 1920x1200.

@ OP: 4770 now or wait and save a bit more for a gtx 260/radeon 4870 (and prices are going down again next month).

upgrade of course !! , whats better two 8800 or one gtx 285 ? isn't it obvious -_-

lol, it's because I found a deal on someone selling one for $75, but I know if I do go that route I'll wish I woulda put that money towards the 285.
Screw it, gtx 285 it is :]

GTX 285!!!
GTX 285!!!
GTX 285!!!
GTX 285!!!
GTX 285!!!

I went from 8800GTS SLI to that card and my performance has doubled if not tribbpled and above in all games i play :D (maxed out with full AA too at 1680x1050) :)

Well the 8800gtx has 768mb of ram so it helps at higher resolutions, and I think two will outperform a single GTX285. I would hold on to the single gtx and wait until the GT300 is out, prices for the 285 will decrease or you can just buy the new series cards for DX11, it is getting close now.

Well the 8800gtx has 768mb of ram so it helps at higher resolutions, and I think two will outperform a single GTX285. I would hold on to the single gtx and wait until the GT300 is out, prices for the 285 will decrease or you can just buy the new series cards for DX11, it is getting close now.

Ugh! Too many decisions! lol.

Ugh! Too many decisions! lol.

Well its simple:

1) how much money do u have now?
2) what results are you achieving in games now including fps and settings?? ;)
3) how impatient are you :D lol

once you answer all three i can tell u if it will be worth it or not :)

Really depends on what you are playing and what you are looking to achieve.

If you want playable fps and for a good value, I can't see how a GTX260 core 216 wouldn't suit you perfect.

If you want maxed out fps and have money to burn, grab a 280 or 285 or 295.

If you want just a small upgrade from what you have, grab a 9 series card.

My computer specs:

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Memory:
4 GB G-Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Motherboard:
EVGA nForce 680i SLI
Operating System:
Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64

If you are set to buy something right now I would pick up the 285GTX instead of an SLI setup...

Your current card is still very decent and if you can manage to wait till august/september and you can take advantage of the next generation or take advantage of falling prices of the old one.

P.S: OC that 8400 to get some extra frames out of your current setup.

There's a gtx 260-216 sc in the classifieds for $130. I would only get a seecond card for sli if the card I already had was among the current best available.

If you are set to buy something right now I would pick up the 285GTX instead of an SLI setup...

Your current card is still very decent and if you can manage to wait till august/september and you can take advantage of the next generation or take advantage of falling prices of the old one.

P.S: OC that 8400 to get some extra frames out of your current setup.

That sounds like the more reasonable thing to do, I can wait 2 more months, I'm in no hurry at the moment.

Oh and I do plan on OCing the 8400, I just installed it a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to doing so yet, but I will real soon!

Back