• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD New Energy Efficiant P-II's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We have been waiting on these for a while... Do they give an actual release date? And I think I will just stick with my 720. I don't mind that it doesn't have a lower case e after it... :screwy:

I don't care about the Energy efficiency series but Phenom II X2 550 and Athlon II X2 250 seems very good.
Both manage to hit 3.9GHz stable.

I think these are to compete with intel, as they already have the Q9550S and stuff coming with exactly same specs as without the S, but 65W TDP too.
With companies doing exactly the same strategy it just makes it harder to choose!
It will be better if they can catch up to core i7 in apps, then we will see lower prices all round.

I like the low power Quads as well as the duals I just need to get my hands on something new.

That list is incomplete. Here's my post from a month or so ago:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=603112

Dates are obviously wrong, they've been pushed to Q3 09 at least.

amd45nm.png

I like the low power Quads as well as the duals I just need to get my hands on something new.

Either of the upcoming Phenom 2 X2's will be a perfect Kuma replacement. IIRC should be able to purchase within the month

I was considering a 905e instead of a 920 due to the lower power requirements as well plus it's only £120 I reckon I could get £50+ for my 9550 on eBay should I decided to upgrade wonder if the performance increase is noticable.

I was considering a 905e instead of a 920 due to the lower power requirements as well plus it's only £120 I reckon I could get £50+ for my 9550 on eBay should I decided to upgrade wonder if the performance increase is noticable.
At the same 3.0 GHz speed my 940BE crunched SETI work units anywhere from 10-30% faster than my 9950BE with the larger work units being more efficient. Can't say what the results would be for other apps but I'd expect at least +10% for the same speed ...

Why buy special energy efficient processor when you can underclock and lower your voltage? Are these really hand picked such that you will always get better lower power results?

Last edited:
It is guaranteed to operate at lower voltages. It is pot luck with the non e variants. Do realize that running too low a voltage can be as bad as too much voltage.

It is guaranteed to operate at lower voltages. It is pot luck with the non e variants. Do realize that running too low a voltage can be as bad as too much voltage.

definitely not true...

undervolting too much will just cause instability as if you were overclocking and didnt have enough voltage.

Too much voltage you can fry / hurt your chip... no such thing with undervolting.

Been running my servers E4300 on a 26% undervolt at stock clocks for a year straight now 24/7 with zero probs.

well the thing with underclocking/under volting a standard chip it probally is still using more wattage than an "e" version.

more than just changing multipliers and voltage requirement goes into these chips, refinment of the manufacture procress is part of it

definitely not true...

undervolting too much will just cause instability as if you were overclocking and didnt have enough voltage.

Too much voltage you can fry / hurt your chip... no such thing with undervolting.

Been running my servers E4300 on a 26% undervolt at stock clocks for a year straight now 24/7 with zero probs.

This chip runs at stock 1.15v and hold that up to 2.8. the max AMD spec is

123ljt.jpg

Please notice the thermals and voltages are different from the non e

Under volting in and of itself will not hurt the CPU but it can cause some issues in the long term.

well the thing with underclocking/under volting a standard chip it probally is still using more wattage than an "e" version.
Indeed. Many of the higher bin won't be able to reach such low voltage for such speed, and even if they can, for quads, there is still a +10W difference: http://ht4u.net/reviews/2009/phenom2_x3_705e_x4_905e/index10.php

Usually the 'e' spec can be undervolted below default if the process is any good. I've seen 1.00v 2.50GHz on X4 900, X3 700 and X2 200 chips which is why one of them will be my next HTPC chip. Aiming for that elusive 0.80v, 10-20W idle-load.

refer to angelfires original post, see his snazzy chart, notice the ddr2 memory says 1066 all the way down the board. I had no such luck getting 1066 speed on the gigabyte board in my sig, using the athlon2 x2 250 and my current phenom2 905e.

anyone got recommendations? using patriot pc8500, which ran at 1066 when used in a intel q9550.

everytime i set the memory from 4.0 to 5.33 in the BIOS strange and funny things happen, any1 got a procedure?

Back