• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD New Energy Efficiant P-II's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Being a clock speed over-clocker (as opposed to using the CPU multiplier) I use good 800CL4 memory instead of 1066. It doesn't take much of a speed increase above 800 MHz @ CAS 4 to match 1066 @ CAS 5 unless your app is using some big chunks of memory ... ;)

Kinda disappointing as even my 65nm brisbane can do 2.8G with 1.2V...
Same here, 2.85GHz to be precise, stable. But the 45nm silicon at the same voltage has far less power (due to subthreshold leakage control). So the voltage figure alone doesn't mean much. Take a look at the 12v amps being used by both CPUs. Intel i7 C0 at high voltage usually runs lower heat/power than i7 D0 with low voltage, similar fundamental reasons. MFGs always increase current supply to the chip they want to OC better and vice versa.

My Athlon X2 45W at 0.92v in the AIO build matches the Athlon II X2 65W at 1.10v in power except that the latter gets to 3.0GHz with that voltage and I can't get past 2.1GHz at the former voltage. This at equal power... that's where the real gain is.

You have the new sub-25W 45nm CPUs coming soon too although I doubt the channel will see them. Most likely OEM only.

This may be off topic but related to new lower power processors. Why doesn't AMD introduce Phenom II processor in mobile space? Even Intel is waiting until 32nm to introduce i7 to mobile space. Why not just make Phenom II processor into real dual core, reduce cache size, and speed to reduce power. There must be some relationship with lower clocks, power from L3 vs. performance, and the gate count that makes this unattractive. Maybe we will see that with Fusion. I just don't get it.

Back