• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what happened?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayfella

hi all.

i was on my PC today, and all of a sudden, it switched itself off and back on again, except it wouldnt start up anymore. :(

I have my Q6600 overclocked to 3.6 on something like 1.44v if i remember correctly, and have a Tuniq tower on it.

Im pretty sure its the processor, cos i removed the memory and no beeps, removed graphics card, no beeps..

I didnt know you could "kill a processor" on so little volts... :(

what do u think? Is it the CPU?

rig in sig.

I assume you did all the basics (reset CMOS, move parts to other computers for testing, etc), yes?

well i only have one PC and a laptop, so i cant check all parts, but i reset CMOS - left it to cool down, tried everythin..

its either got to be the mobo or the CPU, but im pretty sure its not the motherboard.. Its a very solid board and i paid a pretty penny for it.. If i remember correctly it has al sorts of power surge protectors, etc...

Honestly, I've never heard of a CPU "just dying" without assistance (MB/PSU, etc). If you got another 775 board, throw the chip in it to see if it works.

keep in mind that it could be the CPU, motherboard, or PSU. Or at least those are the likely places to start.

I'd say ask someone with a 775 system if you can borrow it for the night and start swapping components.

I'd just be careful of putting the PSU in their system as you could possibly do damage to their system if it is the PSU.

I agree with thideras, and jivetrky on this. I'd try to borrow a power supply to try on your system first, then start swapping parts. Rather than hook up yours to their system.

well.

i took my CPU to the in-laws and my Processor has gone to silicone heaven :(

I bought a Corsair VX550 in january - so i wouldnt have thought it was that, or at least i hope not. Also my motherboard is only 6 months old too, which i agree, in PC terms, is an age in itself, but i have never had any other problems with it. In fact i've been an extremely satisfied customer as far as the motherboard goes..

So i guess i'll have to get another quad. The question is, which may be obvious to everybody else but me, is which one?

on ebuyer, they have a G0 and a G0 SLACR Q6600 - but is one any different to the other apart from he obvious? I mean is one better at overclocking than the other?

I have around £200 tops to spend on a processor. Overclocking is a must :D

any ideas?

Many thanks.

What board did you test it in? If it is old enough, it might not have support for that processor >.>

I know I sound like I'm repeating myself, but I really don't think it is the CPU. Do you have a CPU to test in your board, that will let you know for sure what is actually dead.

well, as luck would have it, i gave my old e7200 to my mum like a week and a half ago, so i dont have a processor to test, but the board i tested it on already has a quad in it.

Yeah im surprised too m8.. I actually agree with you, its very strange how it just decided to give up like that on so little volts.. My thoughts are that maybe it was just a bad batch or something.. I mean i thought quads could take a little more beatin up before they just fail like that.

My thoughts are that maybe it was just a bad batch
Could be that, but usually when processors fail, they do it slowly; that is the main reason why I don't think it "just died". I don't doubt the processor's failure at this point, but rather what caused it. Be wary of that motherboard/PSU for now until you can test them.

Back