• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Compatibility Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bfmctango57

I just googled the A7N8X and one of it's advertising statements is "dual channel DDR 400"
linky

Just make sure you use DDR not ddr2 or 3...it won't fit anyway.
I can't remember where the thread was here, but there was a lot of disscusion of which ddr400 chips were the best..BH5? BH6? made by Micron I think. These chips were fantastick in their day.
I went straight from SDRAM to DDR2 so I can't say for sure what works best for DDR1 systems...maybe someone here will remember the debate.
You should be ok with the mem that you have linked to so far.

Thanks for the link.

My computer is dual channel and has 4 slots for ram. The A7N8X has 1 black slot and 2 blue slots. Does this mean only 2 slots are for dual channel because it takes two sticks of the same ram to make up the dual channel.

Does this mean only 2 slots are for dual channel because it takes two sticks of the same ram to make up the dual channel.

Yeah, but it's backwards from what you might think. You have to have one stick in a blue slot and one in the black one, rather than both sticks in the blue slots.

The reason for that is, the Nforce2 is a bit weird, in that you can actually run dual channel with three sticks of RAM. Theoretically, anyway... I never personally tried it. I forget exactly the criteria for doing so, but it was something like, the combined total of the RAM installed in the blue slots has to equal the amount of RAM in the black slot.

Would this info be in the manual? I dl'd the manual from Asus and didn't see anything about it. I even got 2 manuals and neither said anything about it. :bang head:bang head:bang head

What do I do next?

What do I do next?

I'm not sure I understand... what info are you missing? You need two sticks of DDR400, of whatever brand/capacity you want, and put them in the black slot and a blue slot. There's not really anything else to it.

Oh ok.

Old Thrashbarg:

Do you think it would be worth it to install DDR400 or go with the non DDR400? Would it be worth the extra money if any? I was thinking of going with Kingston because of their low price, excellent customer service and warranty coverage.

I'd go with DDR400. It shouldn't be more than a couple bucks difference (if any) over slower RAM, and it'll give you a bit of headroom, either for overclocking your FSB or for running tighter timings at lower speeds. (For example, a lot of CAS3 DDR400 can run CAS2 at 266 or 333.)

Also, the prices given on the Corsair and Kingston sites isn't really the greatest... I'd recommend browsing through Newegg. You can get 2GB of G-Skill for $59 shipped.

Back