• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best HSF for under $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Koaka

So I have been upgrading my system and I am going to have around $100 to spend on my PC and wondering what I should buy.

I am thinking of getting the True 120 Copper heatsink since I already run my PC horizontal anyways and it is an amazing heatsink.

Here on my system specs

Video Card - BFG 260 216 gtx MAXCORE 55 Stock cooling
CPU - e8400 wolfdate @ 4.0ghz/500bus/2000fsb Scythe Ninja(33idle/63load) cooling it just installed new ultra kaze ( 30idle/56load )
Motherboard - DFI Lanparty P35 chipset
RAM - 4gigs Gskill ddr2 800
Powersupply - Corsair 650tx
Case - Antec 300
Harddrive - Western Digital Black Caviar 1 TB

Also thought of upgrading the ram to some DDR3 OCZ but I dunno. Seeing low 40's load would make my inner nerd squel with the True 120.

Last edited:
That copper TRUE should work very nicely. You may just need to brace it somehow, its a beast. You won't see much performance increase going with ddr3. Are you looking to get a new mobo?

:welcome: to the forums

:welcome:

I've a Copper I put in recently and it's nice, did some wire bracing on mine to go vertical, it is a real weight monster, 4lbs+, even horizontal I'd be careful and not move it around much :)

I was curious to see how Gigabit comes out up there in the

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=600292

thread.

Had just gotten a Copper, all ready had a regular and had just gotten a Megahalem, was personally wondering how the results would be between the three.

The copper very nice looking at any rate, works well here.

:beer:

Last edited:
I was thinking of just running my case horizontally so I wouldnt have to worry about the weight. It has a pretty hefty price tag but if it's the best performer I'm not going to worry about it. I have heard alot of things about the megahalem but the true copper is the best HSF currently on the market right?

whoa! aren't those Copper TRUEs huge though?? approaching 1kg?? I hope its not like the scythe orochi!

The copper TRUE is the exact same dimensions as the rego or black TRUE, only made of copper as opposed to aluminum w. nickel plating or anodization. That's where all the extra weight comes from.

The Megahalem actually beat out the true copper in testing. Not by much, but the Mega is the best on the market atm. I'll post the tests when I find them

Well I can afford the TRUE copper and it's to heavy for me anyways. If I can I will be going with the MEGATRON.

Well I can afford the TRUE copper and it's to heavy for me anyways. If I can I will be going with the MEGATRON.

Go for the MEGATRON (LOL!) and 1 or 2 good 38mm thick 120mm fans (Panflo or Delta ~100-120CFM) w/ a good fan controller (Sunbeam) to keep them quiet when you don't need all that cooling power. Better to have extra cooling in reserve for when you get the itch!

You won't be disappointed!

Edit: Looks like you already have the Ultra Kaze. Do you have a fan controller?

Oh, and if you want DDR3 you'll need a new mobo, but DDR3 on 775 is kind of pointless...especially if you already have a DDR2 mobo and RAM. There is zero performance increase in anything except bandwidth benchmarks.

I looked at that all copper True...it sure is good looking...a nice piece of machine work!

I will 2nd the Freezer 64 Pro. I have had the one in my sig for at least 5 years...never had to change out fan...usually run it at about 7v. on my controller...very dependable and keeps cpu nice & cool.

But...I just recently snagged this Akasa :

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akevo120fori.html

I like the simple but functional design of this Akasa, and at $23.00, I thought I would give it a try.

The installation was a snap, but I didn't realize how far off-set the heatsink actually was. It doesn't line up exactly with the rear exhaust but is close enough that it still works.And It off sets so much to the left that I had to take off my side fan and move it to the outside of the panel, which is okay with me.

This Akasa doesn't cool any better than the Freezer 64 Pro...maybe even a degree or two celsius hotter.

Oh well...I will leave it on for the time being....my old reliable s754 system doesn't require heatsinks such as that all copper True...but all copper sure is nice looking!

20070824t094439450x296u.jpg

Well, you never can tell...just had to find out...especially for $23.00. This Akasa has only 3 heatpipes but they are 8mm versus the 6 pipes of the Freezer Pro at 6mm so I was wondering how the two heatsinks would compare. I kinda figured that 6 pipes @ 6mm would out perform 3 pipes @ 8mm...and it appears that it does, but by just a little bit.

I can't remember exactly what my Prime95 temps were with the Freezer, so I think that I will run this Akasa with Prime95 and then put the Freezer back on and run it and then I will know for sure how the Akasa performs under load.

At the tool & die shop where I work, we occasionally take solid blocks of copper and turn it into a particular part for a customer so I really appreciate the machine work that goes into all of these heatsinks, and especially ones like the above mentioned all copper True.

Last edited:
Will a IFX-14 or Megahalem fit well in a Antec 300 with the back/top fan attached? and a TWO scythe kaze's attached to it?

Back