• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Gg7dx or xp1700?HELP please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fstz28

i have a ga-7dx that use to run a xp1500. the xp1500 died after a month and a half, yesterday i put in a xp1700 and it has never even been able to boot into windows once. the farthest it gets is you can select safe mode, then thats it. it says windows protection error;restart. but if i put the system bus to 115 instead of 133 it works. but i didn't buy a xp1700 to run at 1.2. what the hell gives. gigabyte tech support was no help they said there's nothing wrong with the board, but the new cpu was bad and to find another computer to put it in and try it out. and if the cpu was good then try a new everthing else, memory, power supply, hard drive. its ridiculous. either everything in my computer is bad or their board is. but they say its not their board. any help please!

What are your temperatures at? If you're running hot then your system becomes unstable. Going to lower fsb lowers the temps, thus more stable. This is just a stab since it's hard to guess what could be wrong without more info about your system.

yeah, what are ur temps, thats sounds like ur problem, in ur bios there is a cpu temp and a system temp what do these read? also take everything out of it except 1 hard drive 1 stick of memory, the processor and hsf, and graph card.

what is ur system, what memory are u using?

an easy way to check ur processor is to change the clock multiplier to 12x as opposed to 10.5x it tells u how to do that in the manual, if it will run at 12x114=1368 ish then its not the processor, obviously we need to know temps but i'm just telling u other things to do once ur certain ur temps aren't too high. also if it will run at 12x114 then its not likely to be the motherboard, it is probably the ram, what ram u got? u can check the ram by increasing the bus to 133 but decreasing the clock multiplier to 9x or 8.5x if it boots then its not the memory if not then its either the graph/hard disk/motherboard.

ps. take ur sound card out before u do anything, and load failsafe defaults in ur bios, then fiddle with the "cpu bus" as the mobo calls it. when u provide more information we will no doubt try to give a better diagnoses. hope i helped.

well i've already pulled everything out except the hd, cpu, hs/fan, 1 stick of micron 256pc2100, nvida gf. my temps are (with MBM5) 58C idle, 63C load, at 115fsb. system temp 23C. it was higher till i used AS2 yesterday and got rid of the thermal tape. dropped about 6degrees. they still seem kinda high to me though. its 59C right now while i type this. i've got good circulation in my case, two front induction 80mm fans, two rear 80m exhaust/ with one side 80mm exhaust right infront of the coolermaster DP5-6131C on the h/s. i've switched the memory between both slots. Inkle can you change your multiplier on the 7dxr? i believe i have to bridge the L1s to unlock the chip to change that. i've searched the bios, i see where you can set the cpu host/pci clock and you can set some setting for the dram(ph limit, idle, trc, trp, tras, latency, trcd. here a snap of wcpuid. couldn't get mspaint to save it as a jpeg for somereason, so i made it b/w. i've also done a fresh install a 98se. flashed bios to f6, via4in1 drivers, new nvidia drivers. i'm running out of ideas. i've done failsafe defaults, optimized defaults. i guess i'm gonna drive and hour over to a friends today to plug the cpu into his a7m266 which he run a xp1700 also to see if the chips bad. any other suggestions or thoughts please go right ahead. thanks everything so far. if i should try better memory is there any franchise place that sells good memory, like best buy, cdw, compusa? i know they're expensive but i don't want and expensive piece of sh*t. otherwise i guess i'll have to wait a week for it to come in the mail?

Last edited:
Back