• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV season DVD ripping tutorial

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

There are many ways to rip your shows, this is just the way that works best for me. I strip out all menus and extra junk, and only rip the shows themselves. I've still got all the originals (and you should too) so if you really want to watch a feature that you haven't ripped, just put the DVD in.

I'll also show how to properly rename the files and make them (mostly) plug-and-play with the MP TV series plugin for Mediaportal.

Please do NOT use this or any other method to rip TV series you do not own. It's illegal and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

----------------------------------------------------

First off, you'll need DVDShrink. I won't link it here, but Google is your friend.

Once you get that installed, you are ready to rip.

dvdshrinkmainpage.png
DVDShrink main screen.

The main screen is pretty simple, as you can see. We are going to select which files to pull from the disc, and not just rip the whole thing, so click on re-author, and you'll see this.

dvdshrinkreauthor.png
DVDShrink reauthoring screen.

Before selecting any files or ripping anything, click edit -> preferences -> and select the DVD-9 output format. This is just so the program doesn't send you a warning while ripping over 4.7GB.

dvd-9.png
Output size selection screen.

Head over to the output files tab and make sure the split option is not checked. If it is checked, episodes larger than 1GB will be split into chunks, and will cause you a real headache. Best to just keep them whole.

splitfiles.png
Uncheck the 4th option.

That's it, we're ready to go. Exit out of the preferences screen and doubleclick the optical drive in the re-author tab, and after a moment, a list of the DVD structure will appear. In this tutorial, I am using Married ... with Children season 7 disc 1. It contains 9 episodes, as you can see on the right under "Main Movie."

dvdcontents.png
Once a disc is opened you will see the contents.

One at a time, double click the files on the right. Start at the top of the "main movie" section, and do them in order. They will be analyzed, and moved to the frame on the left side, ready to rip. In this example, the episodes are all about 800MB or so, and looking at the DVD case shows there should be 9 episodes. For other series' DVDs, you may have extra short features, extra long features, and generally extra 'stuff' in the list. The easiest way to figure out which parts you want is to look for X number of files that are all similar in size, where X is the number of episodes that should be on the DVD.

ripready.png
All episodes selected.

Hard drive space is so cheap these days, there's really no reason to further compress the already poor quality video on most DVDs. What we're going to do is make sure that DVDShrink leaves those files alone. Click the "compression settings" tab above the right panel of DVDShrink. Before selecting "no compression," click "DVD" above the episodes in the left panel. That will make any changes to the compression setting affect all files/episodes, not just the highlighted one. Click the dropdown menu, and change it from automatic to no compression.

This is also the screen where you can strip out audio tracks you don't need, such as foreign languages.

nocompress.png
Doublecheck that DVD is highlighted, or it will compress some episodes but not others.

Optional step: Right click each episode. Select "set start/end frames." Move the first slider to where you'd like the video to start ripping, and the second to where you'd like it to end. This can be used to strip out introductions and ending credits to make watching smoother, and/or to save disc space. In this case, removing the introduction and end credits shaved the file down from 836MB to 773MB, a fairly sizable savings. Carried across 9 episodes, that works out to 567MB on just one disc. I suggest setting the start/end frames for every episode you rip, unless ripping speed is more important than saving disc space.

startendframes.png
Skipping to the good stuff.

Last edited:
Once you are finished setting start/end times, it's time to rip. Click on Backup! on the upper menu. Select Hard Disk Folder for the target, and point it towards your storage drive. You'll want to have 3 folders prepared: one for the current rip target, another for the last rip you did, and one final target where the shows will actually live. In my case, it's /mwc for the current rip, /mwc2 for the last one, and /TV Shows/Married ... with Children/Season 7/ for where they will stay once renamed and done. I strongly suggest following a similar hierarchy for your shows, so they can be easily parsed and sorted by show and season. For now, just make three folders, and click on the first to be the target. Click OK and go get a drink or something.

backuptarget.png
Make the output target folder something easy to type.

Once it's finished, you'll have a series of files in the output folder. The next step is to head over to http://thetvdb.com/ and find the series you are working on. This will determine the exact naming convention you use for the files. When naming the files, enter the series name exactly as shown on the search results so MP TV Series will be able to recognize it.

tvdbsearch.png
The "official" name of the series is "Married ... with Children"

Once the rip is complete, a sound will play and a window will pop up. Click OK. At this point you are ready to rename and move the completed files, but first, take out the disc, and insert the next one in the series. A warning will pop up, saying titles on that disc will be deleted, and that's fine, we've already got them stored on the hard drive now.

discout.png
It's not going to erase all our hard work.

Click back to the DVD Browser tab once you have the new disc in, and repeat the selection and rip process, but this time, use the second temporary directory you created. The reason for 2 rip directories is so you can rename and move files from one, while ripping to the other. Renaming takes far less time than ripping, so it's good to keep that optical drive spinning as much as you can. In my case, the second disc will go to /mwc2, where the first disc is already ripped to /mwc. Make sure not to forget to highlight the top entry 'DVD' in the left frame and select 'no compression' from the dropdown menu.

disc2.png
Second disc ready to rock. Note it's the second temporary rip folder, not the same folder the last disc used.

While the second disc is ripping, you can go about renaming the files from the completed one. I find it easiest to keep 2 explorer windows open, one with the end directory (/TV shows/Married ... with Children/Season 7/) and another with the temporary rip target directory. The files with a .VOB extension are the ones we're after. Highlight the first one, and press F2, or right click it and select 'rename.' We'll be naming them with the convention of Seriesname.s##e##.VOB, where s## is the season, and e## is the episode. Since this is disc one of season 7, I'll be starting with "Married ... with Children.s07e01.VOB." Note how before pressing enter to finalize the rename, I've highlighted the first part of the file name, up to the episode number. This is so we can copy it to clipboard with ctrl-c, and reduce typing while renaming the episodes. This step isn't critical but it does save a lot of time. Ignore all the smaller .BUP and .IFO files.

renaming1.png
Start from the top and don't forget the . after the series name. Leave the extension alone, it should already be .VOB.

Now just go in order, the VTS_0#_1 files should already be in order. Click the next one, hit F2 to rename, ctrl-v to paste the partially completed title, and just fill in the episode number. Some discs have 'specials' which technically are in Season 0 on TheTVDB.com, and you'll need to name those appropriately. This disc doesn't have anything but the 9 episodes, so we're all set in that regard. Once you are done it should look like this, and you can simply drag the completed and renamed files to their final home on your storage drive.

renaming2.png
All done.

Once you get up to speed, the renaming and moving step doesn't take more than a minute or so. Clear out the temporary directory which should be littered with small .IFO and .BUP files, so it will be ready for the next disc once the current one finishes. Alternate between your 2 temporary rip directories and make sure to clean them out once you have renamed and moved the real episode files.

moving.png
Once they are all moved to their real directory, go ahead and erase all the small leftover files in the temporary directory.

Up next, importing to the MP TV Series plugin for Mediaportal. Not today though :beer:

Until next time..

Last edited:
Reserved just in case

edit: The thrilling conclusion tomorrow, or whenever I finish it.

Last edited:
done :) good job. Btw isnt that illegal?

It's a murky area. I would have no problem going to court and claiming fair use or challenging the constitutionality of certain sections of the DMCA or whatever. It was brought up in another thread, and I believe a mod said it was ok to post something like this, or at least that it wasn't blatantly illegal.

Considering how easy it would be to simply download whatever TV shows someone wanted from torrents, I think it's ridiculous how hard it is to do it the honest way.

edit: Upon reflection, nothing in this tutorial is illegal to post. Head to dvdshrink.org and note that they do not provide a download link. I don't either. If someone wants to find the program and use it, that's their business, and it's not illegal everywhere in the world. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide if this is something they can legally and morally do in good conscience.

Last edited:
where it becomes illegal is if u dont own a copy of this tv show. dvdshrink.org was made to do "backups" of "your" video dvds.

where it becomes illegal is if u dont own a copy of this tv show. dvdshrink.org was made to do "backups" of "your" video dvds.

That is the sole purpose of this tutorial. Not to make backups, but to transfer the shows into an HTPC so they can be viewed without having to swap physical media. Attached is just the tip of the iceberg, that's half of one shelf and I have several. Horrible cell pic but you get the idea, that's a lot of TV series.

Attachments

• 0803091635.jpg
    0803091635.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 6,177
OK. The bulk of it is up, just need to finish the Mediaportal/MP TV Series part and it'll be all set. Any questions, errors, or suggestions for better ways of doing things, please don't be shy about it!

Very nice work ratbuddy, I didn't expect you to have the guide up so fast. :thup:

Most users will want to enable "overlapped I/O" in the "File I/O" tab of the perferences menu. I've seen this option cut ripping times by a good amount.

Very nice work ratbuddy, I didn't expect you to have the guide up so fast. :thup:

Most users will want to enable "overlapped I/O" in the "File I/O" tab of the perferences menu. I've seen this option cut ripping times by a good amount.

Thanks.

Great, I'll test it out and add it. Also, I just noticed my Paint skills are a bit lacking, but oh well.

What your doing is basically a 1 to 1 copy, minus some info of course it should be going just as quick as the DVD drive can read the disk. Not like a HDD will hold it up unless its a really old one or some older laptop harddrive but then again, speed won't be a concern then, its space.

GG, wish I could have my File Server turned into a Media Center in the living room but oh well I'll wait it out.

^Very true. I havn't used DVDShrink much since back in the AthlonXP days when i used it a lot. The "overlapped I/O" option may not make much (if any) difference on today's modern systems. I always enable it as soon as I install the program so I wouldn't know.

Excellent guide. Should come in handy here shortly, I just added another 2TB to my HTPC/WHS and now I'm looking to back up all my DVD series. Now I just wish I had one of those 20x DVD-Rom workstations lol.

~cheers

Excellent guide. Should come in handy here shortly, I just added another 2TB to my HTPC/WHS and now I'm looking to back up all my DVD series. Now I just wish I had one of those 20x DVD-Rom workstations lol.

~cheers

OR you can add another dvd drive you may have laying around and rip 2 at a time like me ;)

Haha, that concept completely eluded me for some reason, especially when I have at least 2 extra DVD-Roms sitting in the closet somewhere, and I know for a fact at least one of them still functions. I'm also putting my and my girlfriend's laptop to work.

~cheers

lmao best of luck shape of grey im starting to worry if all this nonstop ripping is going to damage my dvd burner :( i guess its a good thing their only 20 bucks or maybe its a perfect excuse to buy a bluray burner ;)

Back