• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help cooling a CM ATCS 840

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donnyb

Registered
I am building an i7 920 system that I plan to overclock. It will have a Megahalem heatsink in the 840 case. I have ordered some 120mm fans for the hard drive bay (2 each) and one 120mm fan for the floor. Is this enough?
Of course the case comes with 2 fans at the top, one at the bottom-front and one at the top-rear. BTW, the heatsink will have one fan pushing into the heatsink. I could get a second fan, but want to see what I have first.

:welcome: to OCForums

That sounds like you should have enough fans to provide more than adequate airflow/ cooling potential for an OCed i7 rig. Which fans did you order to add to the case? Great case choice btw, I think that its a real winner :thup:

I ordered Scythe Slipstreams for the case fans and a Scythe S-Flex for the heatsink fan. The case fans were 1200 rpm and the heatsink fan was 1900 rpm. BTW, I do have a fan controller, so will be able to control speeds on the case fans.

If you really want to OC far then you're going to need something more powerful than those fans. Also, get some Indigo Extreme TIM, it's the best you can get as of now.

I have S-Flex 1200rpms as my case fans and they don't create air flow. They do blow air around whatever they are nearest but they aren't powerful enough to create a general airflow throughout the case.

For a heatsink fan you might want to get a 38mm fan. I don't have personal experience with one but because they are bigger than the standard 25mm ones, they can create more pressure. Pressure is what you want with a heatsink fan because it means the air will blow through the heatsink better.

Sanyo Denki's are around the best, but you'd have to research that. I don't have a fan controller and don't want vaccuum cleaner-esque noise so I'm getting one of these: http://www.petrastechshop.com/12x38nmfblow.html
120mm x 38mm NMB/Panaflo FBA12G12L-1BX Low Speed Hydro Wave Bearing 3pin Case Fan (68.9 CFM/30 dBA)

For case fans, Yate Loons have been consistently reviewed to be great performers with noise/performance: http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html
Those are the medium speed ones and should be good. I'd only order these from Petra's due to some controversy of other shops not having genuine Yates. Lots of people run Yate Loons around here... they're cheap too.

Your TIM matters a lot imo if you want to push far. From what I've seen from other people, Indigo Extreme can drop temps ~2C from even the best TIMs. It's pretty expensive in comparison though and you have to be very careful in applying it. 2C doesn't sound like much but is actually a lot if you want to get really high OCs.

Back