• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC fell apart...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Okay, so i spent about a month trying to OC my CPU as high as i could, and i got it to 3.7, and i was so happy!! (I have a bad chip) I got a new video card (HD 4850) dropped it in, and went to work OCing that too... and then... random reboot. :O I dropped the clocks on the card back to stock... random reboot... dropped the cpu down to 3.2.... random reboot.... down to stock... and it seems to work okay there, but i don't get it... how does putting a new video card in cause the OC on my CPU to fall apart? And how do i fix it? Any help greatly appreciated. :)

I had an ATI X1600Pro before, and never had a problem... except for it being five years old. The PSU is the BFG GS-650. I would think that it would be plenty for what i have, shouldn't it?

Yes it should be, although it's a fairly average PSU it ought to be enough. What I'm thinking is possibly the way the rails are split between the CPU 8-pin 12V plug and PCIe 6-pin graphics card plug isn't working for you. I'm not able to find any details on the way the rails are split between the plugs with a quick search or checking BFG's site...I do see though that there is a 6-pin and 6+2-pin PCIe plug. Try using the other one of those.

Often when I plug in or unplug a component on my motherboard I need to re-set my overclock.
No big deal I just reapply the numbers and all is fine....

AS for your random reboots...that is more likely an OS issue....
what memory do you use.. I find that memory can often affect an overclock.

Thanks, i'll try that real quick :)

And i've reinstalled windows a few times trying to fix another problem i was having (turned out to be a bad monitor cable ha) and i use A-Data 1033 RAM... not the best, but I've been able to run the CPU fairly high if i just lower the RAM multiplier to 6.

Okay, so i moved it to the 6+2 pin connector, and as soon as i put a load on both the CPU and the video card it froze up and restarted... but it froze first. With just the 6 pin it's the same, but it'll run everything for about 1 minute before locking up and restarting. Then i decided to use the adaptor that came with the card and run it off of two molex connectors that are on different cables, and i loaded the both that way, and it was an INSTANT restart. Didn't even have time to see the activity monitor for the GPU go up.

The PSU says it's SLI/Crossfire ready, so, in theory, each PCIE connector should be on different rails, right?

PSU might be broken, it happened on my old computer too.

i didn't overclock, but it just was rebooting all the time because the psu was generating too much heat.

Try to get another psu if you can. (although that might not be the problem)

It certainly isn't getting hot, that's for sure. Nothing but cold air coming out of the back of the thing. Very little heat.

It's not restarting anymore... i just ran Folding@home on the GPU and Prime95 on the CPU overnight (I'm doing science, yay!) and it just locked up... no reboot though... is that good or bad? lol

Okay, so i spent about a month trying to OC my CPU as high as i could, and i got it to 3.7, and i was so happy!! (I have a bad chip) I got a new video card (HD 4850) dropped it in, and went to work OCing that too... and then... random reboot. :O I dropped the clocks on the card back to stock... random reboot... dropped the cpu down to 3.2.... random reboot.... down to stock... and it seems to work okay there, but i don't get it... how does putting a new video card in cause the OC on my CPU to fall apart? And how do i fix it? Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Sounds PSU related to me. The 4850 uses a bit more juice so the additional strain on the PSU causes fluctuations and un-even power delivery causing your OC to fail.

Try getting a spare PSU from a friend if you don't have one lying around and try the overclock again.

If it started after putting in the new card then id say PSU for sure. Do you still have the old card?? If so pop that sucker back in and give it a run, my guess is you won't have any issues. Sometimes after awhile PSU's can wear down, especially if they arent using premium components. I stake my life on corsair PSU's and ive put them to the test. Keep an eye out on newegg for a 750-850 corsair, sometimes they come down really cheap.

I will. Think maybe if i pull some voltage from the CPU and leave the clocks stock i could lower it's power usage? I don't have enough money for a new PSU right now, and my X1600 died on me... that's why i got the 4850 ha

We're broke here lol

The PSU itself should EASILY handle that load of a HD4850. I would run the power tests in OCCT with graphing and see if you are having significant drops. Please note if you have a DMM around that would be the most accurate way to test the PSU for an average user.

Does your board have LLC (Load Line calibration?). Is it enabled? If not, do so. Does it still happen if you bump the Vcore up a notch or two?

Im really struggling to believe that its the PSU causing this unless the PSU has FAILED.

The PSU itself should EASILY handle that load of a HD4850. I would run the power tests in OCCT with graphing and see if you are having significant drops. Please note if you have a DMM around that would be the most accurate way to test the PSU for an average user.

Does your board have LLC (Load Line calibration?). Is it enabled? If not, do so. Does it still happen if you bump the Vcore up a notch or two?

Im really struggling to believe that its the PSU causing this unless the PSU has FAILED.

+1

Unless the PSU is total fail it should run with that setup no issues. IF your setup uses 400-450W of power I'd be shocked.

I'm seeing fluctuations of less than .1 volts, 0.9 at the MOST on the 12 volt rail... the rest are rock solid.

So what else could it be if it's not the PSU?

Yeah thats very solid.

Bad driver maybe? Just a guess, maybe its a bad video card.

Possibly... this and the 8800 GTS use about the same amount of power, right? If i can use my friend's 8800 and it not restart, than that would mean a bad card, right?

P.S. I ran Folding@home on the card last night, and the driver had crashed somewhere during the night. It recovered, but that'd mean bad card too, wouldn't it?

Sounds like the card now ya before you deside use driver cleaner first then put on your new drivers for the new card ....

I would add NB & SB volts too to rule that out if that stableizes it then put the SB back where you had it and try again to pin it down ....

Strange it works with 8800 gt & not the 4850 thiskinda points at the card ;)

Yup both use similar power. NB & SB increase i think as well to help rule it out. Not too much just 1-2 up from where it is should do the trick.

Maybe there was a power spike and might of wreaked part of the PSU and maybe some other components? <- last resort thinking

Back