• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC fell apart...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like the card now ya before you deside use driver cleaner first then put on your new drivers for the new card ....

I would add NB & SB volts too to rule that out if that stableizes it then put the SB back where you had it and try again to pin it down ....

Strange it works with 8800 gt & not the 4850 thiskinda points at the card ;)

Yeah, i'll try and see if i can get my friend to bring his 8800 over, and i'll drop it in there and see if it works with that.

I did try bringing the NB and SB up, and it didn't do anything. That was one of the first things that i tried before i came here. All it did was make them run hotter lol

Yup both use similar power. NB & SB increase i think as well to help rule it out. Not too much just 1-2 up from where it is should do the trick.

Maybe there was a power spike and might of wreaked part of the PSU and maybe some other components? <- last resort thinking

We have pretty clean power here, so it'd be a one in a million chance of that happening, but it's certainly possible... If that had happened, wouldn't i'd see affects with my old card though?

We have pretty clean power here, so it'd be a one in a million chance of that happening, but it's certainly possible... If that had happened, wouldn't i'd see affects with my old card though?

Hard to say. Sometimes electronics can't take anything more you give them, then again other times they take excessive punishment and still run. Best case senerio i had was when I accidentally put some DDR2 in backwards (don't ask) and even with puff of magic smoke it still worked. Or even semi recently when my mobo shorted, I was reading weird voltages all over the board, then BIG FLAMES comith. Fried the board and some how everything else survived.

Another one coming from a friend, definite power spike took out his HDD, everything else works great though.

It all depends so while it might still be a small chance, its a chance and something to consider. Sadly though only way to test it is if you have access to another system to individually test components.

I do have access to another system, but it only has a 350 Watt PSU, so i wouldn't really want to put my card or CPU on that system for any length of time... especially not with a load on them :/

I'm using the XFX drivers.

The PSU is about 8 months old... just got it last Christmas with the rest of the system.

I increased the CPU voltage to 1.35 volts, and it's running fine now... guess i'll just work on it and try to get as much speed out of it as possible.

use the proper drivers, e.g. if its a asus go to asus.com, dont use the generic ATI ones.

Also, just out of interest, how old is that PSU?

Ummm... if its an ATI card you use the latest ATI drivers from ATI.
Asus's drivers are ATI drivers just older versions that they never updated on the website, and same goes for other manufactures. Typically they have on the website is usually when the card is released or shortly after.

Ummm... if its an ATI card you use the latest ATI drivers from ATI.
Asus's drivers are ATI drivers just older versions that they never updated on the website, and same goes for other manufactures. Typically they have on the website is usually when the card is released or shortly after.

Im not going to disagree with you cos i honestly didnt know that, but i do know that when i tried to run dual-monitors on my 4850 with the generic ATi's it White-SOD'ed every time, like some kind of memory overlap failure or somethin. After reading around, everybody was saying use the Asus drivers, and hey presto. I also found the GPU overclocks to be more stable.

I would still shoot for a driver issue though, PSU is plenty capable since i have a corsair vx550 (rig in sig) and at 8 months old, its fine.

Im not going to disagree with you cos i honestly didnt know that, but i do know that when i tried to run dual-monitors on my 4850 with the generic ATi's it White-SOD'ed every time, like some kind of memory overlap failure or somethin. After reading around, everybody was saying use the Asus drivers, and hey presto. I also find overclocks to be more stable.

I would still shoot for a driver issue though, PSU is plenty capable since i have a corsair vx550 (rig in sig) and at 8 months old, its fine.

Ah yes I remember that issue. Thankfully I was one that never ran into that problem. It wasn't til later driver releases (9.x's) that I ran into an issue with dual displays and just never bothered from there on my CF setup.

Yah I had a silverstone 560W it was pushed to the limit running an AMD 920 and 2x 4850s all OCed. I also ran into the shutdown issue.

4850s draw a LOT of power for their performance, but even so a 650W average brand should be enough even upping to an i7 cpu.

Drivers or PSU is my guess.

I increased the CPU voltage to 1.35 volts, and it's running fine now... guess i'll just work on it and try to get as much speed out of it as possible.
Does it still happen if you bump the Vcore up a notch or two?

Im really struggling to believe that its the PSU causing this unless the PSU has FAILED.
W00t! Glad to hear it got better!

And yeah, I would always use Nvidia/ATI drivers before I would use the vendor ones (unless I was having a problem).

Yep! Got it back up to 3.6GHz, so i'm pretty happy... still can't get it up to 4 again, but i suppose i'll live lol

Back