• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Overclockers using Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wickedout

Hey what's up people?

In Win 7 do you guys ever use the power options to adjust CPU power?

Do you guys use passive or active air? Right now I have my in active air for the CPU?

Let me know? Thanks!

Are you talking the CPU vcore with an overclocking utility? If so, no I dont. Some people use them to fine tune their overclocks (ie: rough them in closely then dial em in notch by notch in windows).

I personally dont believe in software overclocking, but maybe that stems from the old days when it didnt exist.

I assume by active vs. passive air you are meaning fan vs. no fan on the heatsink? If so, you almost must have active unless you have a heatsink designed for passive and you have good case flow. Once you overclock, its very tough to do this though, especially in the warmer climates.

It's part of the power options in Windows 7. I have my set to passive atm.

I was just wondering if others use it in active or passive mode. I haven't had a real chance to do some research on it.

i disable it just to make sure it doesnt effect performance. there have been cases, i have seen, that even disabling say C1E/EIST. windows vista/7 can override those and still use the power saving/underclocking features of the cpu.

for the record yes im using win7 RC still, came from XP-SP2...

System Cooling Policy lets you change the cooling mode of your system. There are 2 options available here. Active increases the fan speed before slowing the processor to maintain cooling, while Passive slows down the processor before cooling the fan speed. Passive saves a lot more power as it reduces the clock on your processor, hence giving your more battery time, taken from...http://www.ithinkdiff.com/different-new-power-saving-options-in-windows-7/

i disable it just to make sure it doesnt effect performance. there have been cases, i have seen, that even disabling say C1E/EIST. windows vista/7 can override those and still use the power saving/underclocking features of the cpu.

for the record yes im using win7 RC still, came from XP-SP2...

System Cooling Policy lets you change the cooling mode of your system. There are 2 options available here. Active increases the fan speed before slowing the processor to maintain cooling, while Passive slows down the processor before cooling the fan speed. Passive saves a lot more power as it reduces the clock on your processor, hence giving your more battery time, taken from...http://www.ithinkdiff.com/different-new-power-saving-options-in-windows-7/
:thup:

No. I disable all windows related power options. If I use any its C1E/Speedstep etc.

Removed reference to spammers comment, which is now deleted and he has been banned - IMOG

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, "power saveing" means lowering my overclock heheh.

Other then that, I turn off all power saveing features, and plug in more fans :thup:

It's part of the power options in Windows 7. I have my set to passive atm.

I was just wondering if others use it in active or passive mode. I haven't had a real chance to do some research on it.

Passive is for laptops on battery. If you set it to passive, it will down clock your cpu rather than spinning up the fan; basically if it gets to hot it will downclock cpu rather than let the fan spin up.

For a desktop, it should be set to active, with cpu max speed at 100%, always. Maybe a media center pc might find passive useful, but IMO its designed for lappys.

Oh and thats a win7 setting, its there no matter what cpu you use. Also, I did not know that windows had any control over the motherboard spinning up or down the fan. It probably downclocks it @certain temps rather than actually reading/controlling the fan speed, but I dont know for sure.

On my asus 1000he netbook (win7), I have it set to passive on battery, active on AC pwr.

Back