• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why we Fold...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PenguinsPal

I guess we all have our reasons, Whether its competitiveness or personal reasons, but here we are. We pour a lot of resources into PC's. Spending our time, our money. What is the real reason? I used to do just to see how hard I can push my computers. Try to squeeze every last Hertz out or my CPU. Baby it and overclock to the max.
September of this year my mother passed from stomach cancer. It was hard on me at first. Why does these things have to happen? Why haven't they found a cure yet? Well, I can guarantee one thing, I will be in here pushing every computer I have to help find that cure. Not for PPD or any other reason than maybe help so some other Son or Daughter don't have to bury a loved one because of this disease.

That is my story. I know there has been many of these threads. I just wanted to let you all in on my reason.

WTF WTF PenguinsPal. I too have seen the devastating effect of such illness first hand. I would like to state first that the reason I fold is much the same as yours. When I was 14 I witnessed my grandmother on my dad's side pass away from pancreatic cancer(I won't get into but one of the worst things I've ever seen). Around that same time my grandfather(who was more of a father than my dad was to me) had prostate cancer. After radiation treatments he went into remission. Then 10 years later back in his bones.

I fold is in memory of my family(I only wish I could add more to my meager 3PC 2 GPU farm. In time I will be able to) and to the hope that someday the WU I and everyone else has crunched will allow someone the ability not to have to witness such things in their lives.

It is always sad, but it will always be with us.

Just the cost of being alive and mortal.

I'm saddened by your loss Pal... my condolences sir. We're here to do the work that needs to be done... if we do or don't find something that leads to a cure is irrelevant, all we do know is that if we don't do these things a cure is just that much further away.

I suggest you add your mother's name to our Team 32 Memorial Wall... for all those who are no longer with us...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=453184

I fold for my Grandmother who past away late last year.
She had Alzheimers and Dimentia and it caused her memory to get so bad she forgot how to even eat. The disease completely distroyed her mind to the point where she was just a vegetable.

RIP Irma Noel (1925-2008)

My condolences for your loss PenguinsPal. :(

Fold on brother.

As soon as I get some funds free I am going to start a real farm for folding. Right now I am just using all the PC's I have laying around to fold with.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. You all don't realize how good it feels to hear from people that understand.

Back