• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

195.62 kills SpeedFan reading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I installed 195.62 drivers today (had been on 18x drivers). After upgrading, Speedfan now reports GPU temperature as 0 deg C. GPU-Z reports a temperature. Upgrading SpeedFan to the latest version didn't change anything. Anybdody know of a solution to this issue?

I have had some issues with those drivers as well.. Mis-reading what the shaders are set and and driver artifacts.. :( was hoping the final release of these would be better than the beta ones ...

That sucks. I've downgraded to 18x drivers after upgrading to 19x drivers several times now due to issues. In the past it was the fact that the card wouldn't downclock after coming out of 3D apps. That seems to work perfectly with 195, but now this new issue pops ip. What a PITA, this is why I stopped using beta drivers long ago and stuck with the WHQL versions. Apparently even that doesn't mean it'll work correctly anymore.

My GTX 260 now reads 0 in speedfan but even before speedfan was reading my temps WAY to high. Also GPU-z reads the temps correctly at idle but under full load the only reading piece of software I can trust is Rivertuner. Never failed me once.

taken from http://www.evga.com/forumsarchive/fb.asp?m=100920204

That's an internal issue of all currently available 190.xx series.

Problem background:
Since 190.xx series NVIDIA driver's internal resource manager is trying to precache thermal sensors information in the registry during the first startup after installation. This mechanism doesn't seem to work fine yet, under some conditions sensor detection and precaching algorithm can fail and store incorrect sensor type information in the registry causing temperatures to disappear till the ForceWare re-installation.

Temporary solution:

Until the problem is not fixed by NVIDIA, there are still some temporary tricks allowing to solve it. First, you may just perform complete Foreware re-install, this will also cause precached thermal sensor information to be removed from the registry and to be re-detected by ForceWare on the next start. Second, you may manually remove corrupted thermal sensor information from the registry and this way cause the ForceWare to re-detect it on the next reboot. To do it open regedit then search and delete all instances of RmThermalProviderInfo and RmThermalProviderNum entries in the registry. Then reboot.

i did this when the first 190.xx driver came out and it worked perfectly

Uninstalling and re-installing the Forceware package did not work. The registry delete and reboot worked like a charm though. GPU-Z now sees all the readings it did previously (I had lost two and didn't notice immediately), and SpeedFan picks up the correct temperature again.

Thanks for that!

Uninstalling and re-installing the Forceware package did not work. The registry delete and reboot worked like a charm though. GPU-Z now sees all the readings it did previously (I had lost two and didn't notice immediately), and SpeedFan picks up the correct temperature again.

Thanks for that!

yupper :)

yeah the re-install the drivers for me just fixed like one of the temps in one of the programs i use (forgot which one) the reg edit fixed everything :)

Glad it worked out :)

Back