• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua NH-D14 brief physical comparison vs Megahalems Rev.B and TRUE (PICS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
First of all, this thread is not about performance comparison between these HSs, just back from New Year's holiday, and I'm about to go out for field trip job, ... again. So no HS testing fun with them for now. :cry:

At my best, I can only share some quick shots of their physical comparison.

PS : Provided a direct link of each pic so you can view the original/bigger size, dunno if its only me, the forum is shrinking the pics and when clicked, it does NOT expand as original size. :shrug:

Top View, left to right : Megahalems Rev.B, Noctua NH-D14, TRUE
The Noctua D14 is huge, and almost twice the size of Megahalems or TRUE.

2n83ply.jpg

Direct Pic Link HERE

Side view, D14 still has the highest clearance from the bottom, the TRUE's bent fins, the lowest tip/corner is approx. 1 cm lower, while Megahalems is about 1.5 cm lower than D14 bottom fin.

2v0bx90.jpg

Direct Pic Link HERE

Few more details bout the D14 build.

Soldered pipes at the fins for D14, looks good so far.

x3qcg.jpg
Direct Pic Link HERE

Noctua D14 base, not mirror finish, but the grooves are fine & even. Haven't done flatness checking with glass yet.

21lkcup.jpg
Direct Pic Link HERE

I know, this post doesn't mean too much, but hope these few shots help, at least as a clue about the clearance from the lower part of the fin between this HS.

Last edited:
Very nice pics. The D14 is hyugeeee... I really want to see a D14 vs Venomous X review now. I'm guessing VX will be 1-2C better... despite its smaller size.

I really hope Prolimatech is working on a new D14/IFX-14 type dual tower cooler of their own. I'd bet that would be the new king when it comes out. Hope that Thermalright is working on an IFX-14 sequel... if it's anything like the TRUE sequel Venomous X, then us air cooling guys are in for some good times :)

Nice pics, bing.:thup:

I don't know about the Noctua, but the Megahalems and the TRUE (if it's a newer one) should both show a slight crowning towards the middle of the base. I'll be watching for it when you test for this.:)

Thank you for those pics. Could you possibly measure the distances from the bottoms of the fins to the bottom of the heatsink?

There are MB's that put an obstruction between the 1156 socket and the PCIE slots. The D14 looks tall enough that a fan might clear such an obstruction.

Thank you for those pics. Could you possibly measure the distances from the bottoms of the fins to the bottom of the heatsink?

There are MB's that put an obstruction between the 1156 socket and the PCIE slots. The D14 looks tall enough that a fan might clear such an obstruction.

Give me a day or two, when I'm back at home, will try to make few pics of the lowest fin to the hsf bottom with ruler.

Stay tune.

Straight off Noctua's website.

nh_d14_measurements_1.jpg

That Noctua is sick looking. I like Noctua so much that I decided to use their fans exclusively in my case, in addition to my Noctua hs.

Thanks for the Noctua find. 44mm. Now, all I need to do is find out how tall the cooling structure is on the GA P55A-UD4R . . .

I have This noctua and its massive. the thing is like the size of my head, i have to the move the 12 cm fan up a few centimeters as it interfered with my ram heatsinks. it was either remove the ram heatsink or move the fan up, i get pretty damn good temps even with the fan moved so i said ill leave it like that. I still havent read any reviews on the venomous X though.

Back