• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoL (Wake On LAN) issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
My machine is an HTPC and file-server combined. I run it 24/7 and lately I've been running low on cash so I'm trying hard to keep my elec. bill low.

I have WOL set up correctly in BIOS (PME is enabled).

MY GOAL IS TO HAVE THE PC COME OUT OF STANDBY WHEN I TRY ACCESSING FILES ON IT OVER MY LAN
I read a tut on how to set up WOL within windows with my network adapter so that I can still use it as a file-server... where the machine should come out of standby and turn on when I want to access files on it.

Well, it's not working, but the problem is that I CANNOT DISABLE this option:
"Only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby."
(please see attached image)

I can disable it and hit OK, but when I reboot and come back to check the status of that option, the box is checked again, meaning it was never actually disabled. Do you guys think this has to do with LOGMEIN? I'm using logmein with the WOL feature of it enabled.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WOL.png
    WOL.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 337
in the past, i've never been able to get a realtek card to do the job for me for WOL.... probably because while the driver supports it, it's a softnic (like a softmodem, but for networks). You really need a good hardware nic that supports it so the processor on the nic can give the signal to wake up the computer instead of the passive nic waiting on the software on the asleep computer to wake up on it's own.

Don't gotta spend a lot of money on it either. My current card that does it was $5 and is an Intel Pro/1000.

Thanks for the info, THF.
Does that work with file sharing on your network? That's my main concern, and beyond that, I'd LOVE for it to potentially work with FTP.

works very well for file sharing as far as i can tell. I do a lot of heavy media transfers (encode on one machine, transfer to my storage server with the many terabytes of space), and file transfers wake it up just fine. Haven't tried with ftp or anything other protocol yet.

works very well for file sharing as far as i can tell. I do a lot of heavy media transfers (encode on one machine, transfer to my storage server with the many terabytes of space), and file transfers wake it up just fine. Haven't tried with ftp or anything other protocol yet.

So you think it could be my NIC, or do you think LOGMEIN has taken over the WOL attributes... I guess I could just uninstall logmein and spend time testing (I hate wasting time like that!!)

Back