• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum safe voltage on 5870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

So I recently picked up a 5870 (FANTASTIC card btw) and was doing some benchmarks on it. I was wonder what is the maximum safe voltage on the 5870? To get to 1003mhz on the core I had to use 1.273 V's to get through 3dmark06, was this too much?
Card didn't get hot (had the fan maxed out), but do I have to worry about migration.

These are only VERY temorary voltages BTW, This thing has enough power at stock to handle any game.

Oh, and I got 25243 in 3dmark 06 BTW

on my 5770 i dont like to go over 1.212v and i can get a semi-stable 1003core/1400mem

i normaly run it at 1.212 and 980/1375ish.. i know its a diff card, but overall i think the 1.2 area is ok.. for the 5770 i've read to not go above 1.25 really before you need to check your thermals

I would also like to know this for the HD5850. And I'd also like to know what the default voltage is and where not to go with the core. I read somewhere I shouldn't go over ~900MHz with the 5850. I'd like your input on this!

Thank you!

Edit: Don't you guys get artifacts and such? I read there are a LOT of people getting artifacts or crashes whenever they increase the speeds..

I would also like to know this for the HD5850. And I'd also like to know what the default voltage is and where not to go with the core. I read somewhere I shouldn't go over ~900MHz with the 5850. I'd like your input on this!

Thank you!

Edit: Don't you guys get artifacts and such? I read there are a LOT of people getting artifacts or crashes whenever they increase the speeds..

I personally haven't seen an artifact in years. For me the driver crashes before I see artifacts

1.35 no problem. Crank that fan speed!

I wouldnt run that 24/7 though. I know some people that have run 1.4 through them with some good cooling.

I need 1.337 for my 1ghz core. MSI afterburner makes this a breeze, I am loving my card also!

1.35 no problem. Crank that fan speed!

I wouldnt run that 24/7 though. I know some people that have run 1.4 through them with some good cooling.

I need 1.337 for my 1ghz core. MSI afterburner makes this a breeze, I am loving my card also!

Nice leet voltage there :p ! Hmm, this will be my first time to be overclocking using voltages. I'll probably start slow going towards 1.2--if that. What are the default of all these cards?

i think most defaults on the 57xx and 58xx cards is like a 1.125 or something like that if i remember.

I am currently running my Sapphire 5850 at 1ghz on core and 1102 on mem at 1.274 volts. I tried it at 1.25V, it was mostly stable but would occasionaly crash on Bioshock 2 and the BFBC2 beta. Seems to be solid now at 1.274V. Temps are around 24 at idle and 38 under load, this is with watercooling though.

I am currently running my Sapphire 5850 at 1ghz on core and 1102 on mem at 1.274 volts. I tried it at 1.25V, it was mostly stable but would occasionaly crash on Bioshock 2 and the BFBC2 beta. Seems to be solid now at 1.274V. Temps are around 24 at idle and 38 under load, this is with watercooling though.

I reckon I did well then. I didn't touch voltages at all so I'm very happy with 906MHz. I get artifacts at 912MHz. I'm scared of increasing voltages to be honest as I do not have the money to replace IF I fry something.

Back