• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BigHam Wood Project 02

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grosjambon

Hi guys, Im gonna start anew project.
Im going to do a small cube box more rectangular to fit these component.
To be able to play Movie on my 52inche Screen I think this is called a HTCP Computer no too sure about that tought....
I am going to use MDF Wood Since my other Case (made of plywood doesnt look good.) Going for a low profile case.
M2n-e
athlon x2 6000+
7900 GT
1 or 2 GIG of ram
1 or 2 hard drive.
1DVD
Still need to find a way to make joints. or i will use right angle bracket (equerre in french) to make it fit together.
Still need to do some plan for (L x W x H)
Any Hints are always good :)

Last edited:
Hmm is that a m-atx or atx mobo? And HTPC stands for home theatre pc so yes it is a HTPC. Is it going to be watercooled again? That would be an interesting challange for little cube pc. You could base it on the Shuttle barebone PCs that are popular now. This one measures 11.81" x 7.87" x 7.28"

As for joints, you could just butt one piece up to the other and then make some small triangles and glue or screw them into place on the joint for strength.

joinery.jpg

Maybe that'll help. I would use the first one, but since I am pretty sure MDF isn't strong enough to hold screws driven into it sideways, you could just use a block or triangle on the inside edge so you can drive screws in from both sides. Or even use glue and brad nails for a cleaner look.

Like this:
butt-joint.gif

I believe its called a box-joint and its about as simple of a joint you can make.
Btw, how do you plan on cooling it? And is it really a cube? or more flat like a DVD player size?

i think its more going to be as a dvd player size. doing some measurement
And Only 7 '' betwen the 52Inche and the other wood thing **cant find tha name :(**
Its gonna be a atx mobo 13''by 13'' ithink
Most likely
7'' (height) as long as possible 14'' of large.

joinery.jpg

Maybe that'll help. I would use the first one, but since I am pretty sure MDF isn't strong enough to hold screws driven into it sideways, you could just use a block or triangle on the inside edge so you can drive screws in from both sides. Or even use glue and brad nails for a cleaner look.

Tell that to those who make subwoofer boxes. ;)

IMG_0083.jpg

Granted, it is out of 3/4" MDF, so the surface area is a bit larger, although I could imagine you could do it with 1/2" MDF if the sides are cut well (table saw vs wobbly jig saw).

This would be the next thing I would like to do as far as a wooden solution goes. I would make it as low profile as possible, probably mount a laptop sata/blue ray drive into it. I would most likely go for very thin looking as in not very wide, but perhaps really deep.

Some day.

Update :)
I still didint bought the wood busy me... a lot of thing to do for school so it wont be this weekend :)

Okay. Here is what i plan to do.
Pic of an old mobo and other thing just to let usee what i will do....
Okay The d-tek box is **the hard drive**

Options 1:
P1000522.jpg
P1000521.jpg
P1000528.jpg
Options 2:

P1000523.jpg
P1000526.jpg
P1000527.jpg

Do u like that wii fit board? :)

lol nice sub box, but the wood corner joints wood make it strong enough in case he wants to stomp on his computer. And what is the white box supposed to represent, HDDs?

yer that wood looks much better than ply good pick

you can even sand the edges to make it look more modern with no edges

okay Made the cut.
Finaly decided to go with a normal case (mid tower sized) since mdf is not black.. im going to put it aside, where is the table (where u can see the telephone) for a cleaner/low profile look.
20''x20''x10'' ---- Height - Long - wide
P1000544.jpg
P1000545.jpg
P1000548.jpg
Here is what u most have to do a wood case.
P1000547.jpg
P1000546.jpg
I went for an easy way with these dimension need 4x (20''x10'') rectangle (top- bottom-front side-back side) and 2x(20''x20'') for side panel

-when everything is finish i sanded them a little to reduce the sanding at end...
P1000549.jpg
perfect ;) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back