• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sim Racing Set Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Witchdoctor

Always wanted a sim racing set up instead of mounting the wheel to the desk and my chair rolling out from underneath at the most in opportune time.
Not to mention the pedal moving ever so slowly away from you.

So biting the bullet and building my own.
It will be made out of wood and will feature a new seat and wheel set up
Going to have to limp along with my monitor for the time being as I am torn between VR or a 43" to 50" 4K screen

Not an expert on SIM racing perfs, but my G25 just bit the dust and stumbled on to these guys and reviews were decent so taking a leap of faith

Base = Club Sport V2.5 base
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-bases/clubsport-wheel-base-v2-5.html

Wheel = CSL Elite
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-steering-wheel-p1.html

Pedals = CSL Elite
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedals-lc-usa.html

Seat = No Name
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0116D6K0S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also going to use
2- 24" x 48" 1/2" plywood
3 - 2" x 4" x 8'
2 - 24" x 48" 3/4" MDF
8 - 1/2" bolts
Misc screws and fasteners
speaker carpet
screws and sub floor adhesive

Wheel is out for delivery the chair should be here in under a week and picking up the lumber this evening

I am hoping I can pull this off with out wasting a ton of lumber

I will take some pics along the way

Here are the first parts in

I loved my Logitech G25 wheel and have been rocking it since it's release in 2006. Can't even count how many races I got out of it.

It has set a high bar for the Fanatec wheel, but have to say, this wheel makes the Logitech look like a toy …. all metal construction, even the deck mount up front in the pic below is a thick hunk of steel with two set bolts

This thing ain't going anywhere. It is Beastley top to bottom with super high quality look and feel, but make no mistake, they bend you over hard for it.

Also grabbed the lumber and borrowed a friends route to clean the edges up a bit

1.JPG

2.JPG

Fanatec is LEGIT. you have to get their h pattern shifter. It's amazing. The "clunk" when dropping into a new gear is so satisfying.

I will have to hold off for a little while

They want $ 269.99 on their sight

But look forward to it :thup:

Had some time today so got rolling on this

Have to wait for the seat so I can get the right height and angel for the wheel plate

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Hey i remember this and Jessica building it on inside sim racing epidode Ricmotech RS1.

And your neighbors thought we were crazy when there was a 480 l tank of Ln2 outside!!!!! :D
Very nice Witchy looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Finished all the cutting and fitting, put some adjustability in the steering will and the seat moves back and forth, should be able to accommodate a lot of different size people

Just have to break it all down and paint everything then reassemble and she will be ready for track :thup:

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Wow, that's a masterpiece arcade quality equipment! Are you going to put wheels on it?(for transportation purposes) looks a little heavy. I bet every kid neighbor on the block wants one!

Witchy you are such a child and I effin love it bud!!!! Nice work so far. :thup:

Ps. I imagine when you ship that thing to me it will be quite expensive, you may want to take it apart ;) :D

Curious, with all that you have purchased and put together, why no Vive? All the major sims support VR modes, and from what I have read and seen, all the fanatical sim racers swear by it. At the very least, a triple monitor and/or TrackIR setup would also be a boon.

I played some game in vr and holy cow... I went hot into a corner and missed the turn.. I felt that pit in my stomach like when you lose control of your car and nothing you can do about it.

But then he wouldn't have an excuse to build this. With VR glasses, he would have to simply settle for a couch.

I bet a tacoed super car in a corner feels good in virtual reality:D

But then he wouldn't have an excuse to build this. With VR glasses, he would have to simply settle for a couch.

I bet a tacoed super car in a corner feels good in virtual reality:D

The heavy sim racers with VR have a full setup like Witchdoctor, and then some. I'm talking full pedals, shifter, multiple transducers to replicate suspension/wheel/engine vibrations, and even fully moving cockpits.

Back