• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Noob.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1kingd2

AMD Noob.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been running Intel for a while now, and I want to make an upgrade. I currently have asus ProQ turbo motherboard, Sapphire Radeon 5870, Dominator ddr2 1066 memory, and Q9550 processor with EO stepping I want to upgrade to a 955/965be, an Asus Crosshair iii motherboard, and Corsair dominator gt ddr3 memory.
I just have a few questions for the AMD experts. I have been reading that there are problems with the Asus Crosshair iii mb getting ddr3 memory to run at 1600mhz, is this true? Also would you guys expect much gains in gaming/3d benchmarking compared to my current set up? I have oc experience with Intel is AMD more difficult? Or is it a better idea to wait for the 890 mb to come out?

AMD Noob.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been running Intel for a while now, and I want to make an upgrade. I currently have asus ProQ turbo motherboard, Sapphire Radeon 5870, Dominator ddr2 1066 memory, and Q9550 processor with EO stepping I want to upgrade to a 955/965be, an Asus Crosshair iii motherboard, and Corsair dominator gt ddr3 memory.
I just have a few questions for the AMD experts. I have been reading that there are problems with the Asus Crosshair iii mb getting ddr3 memory to run at 1600mhz, is this true? Also would you guys expect much gains in gaming/3d benchmarking compared to my current set up? I have oc experience with Intel is AMD more difficult? Or is it a better idea to wait for the 890 mb to come out?

Idk about the whole ddr3 memory issue, but you'd probably be looking at virtually identical performance cpu wise with the 955/965. However you still get a cheap ddr3 platform, and OCing is easier with the unlocked multiplier in the Black Edition.

Idk about the whole ddr3 memory issue, but you'd probably be looking at virtually identical performance cpu wise with the 955/965. However you still get a cheap ddr3 platform, and OCing is easier with the unlocked multiplier in the Black Edition.

Thank you,

Yea I wanted to prepare for the leo platform in April. Thank you for your input.

I would hold off. the performance would be roughly the same(ish). wait till something better comes out or go i7.

AMD Noob.

Good lucky trying to find a crosshair III. Everyone seems to be sold out of em. I've been trying to get one for a few days now at non gouged prices.

If your not in a rush like I am then i would wait for the 890fx chipset to come out to see how it performs compared to the 790fx chipset

Back