• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patch over XP with Win7??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkoersvelt

Get this,
My friend got a new Win7 OS for X-mas. He decided last night to try and install Win7 64 bit over XP home. All are legal copies. But now the rig won't boot at all? I've never done this before so not sure what to do. The rig just hangs there and does nothing. He tried to repair with the XP disk to go back but nothing doing. Is the data for Windows now corrupt? He's bringing it over to my place tomorrow for help(great). Should I just reformat and start over?
What do you think?

If you want XP back on, boot from an XP disk and proceed through the installation steps as normal. Before you reach the partitioning tool, the install disk should detect the old installation of Windows and prompt you to either do a clean install or install and leave the old file system intact. If you choose to leave the existing file system intact, you won't loose any data.

Thats what I did when he brought it over. I changed the boot sequence to CD Rom first then c/d/a/scsi. Used the XP disk to put the OS back on. Didn't re-format as he didn't back up his files (like always right).
So far I haven't heard from him so not sure how it panned out. It would boot up last night but not sure if he lost anything yet?
Time will tell I guess.

Coudnt your friend back up his stuff and do a clean install since the bootloaders are different with vista/win 7 and xp??

When I was still on vista i installed win 7 beta back in the day and xp for other junk..well to my suprise doing tripple boot on my

system with installing xp last didnt work well with my boot manager from vista/win 7....

To tell you the truth I rebuilt my boot loader and settled for vista back then...

upgrading win7 over xp < Clean win 7 install

Back