• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop sharing over LAN with Windows 10 + XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

So I've got my new system up and running, and due to space constraints and lack of supplies, it looks like the most effective way for me to use both my new Windows 10 system and old XP system is desktop sharing over LAN. Likely I'll share the XP and control it from the new 10 box.

What's your preferred software for such an operation?

I'll experiment with TightVNC and possibly Team Viewer. When doing sharing over the internet with friends, we used TightVNC for the longest time, but then switched to Team Viewer because one of my friends is an idiot ;) I have to admit that while I hate Team Viewer on principle, it seemed to perform better. However, over LAN this extra performance may mean nothing. Also Teamviewer likes to crash on my XP system ;)

If that xp install is xp pro (and it should be because its freeware now :) ) then just use remote desktop .

If that xp install is xp pro (and it should be because its freeware now :) ) then just use remote desktop .

So I got TightVNC working and it was quite nice. However, I was intrigued with the possibility of making the process even simpler and possibly have it performing better, so I tried the remote desktop thing.

The problem was, on my XP installation, I never created any users. I had just been using the Administrator account that it started with from the very beginning, under which everything had been painstakingly configured over many years just to my liking. In order to be able to log in with remote desktop, I had to create a new user. In the process of doing so, I discovered that it had, as far as I could tell, wiped out the old Administrator account and replaced it with this new account which had administrator powers. As a result, the only account left on the installation was completely unconfigured.

Not worth. I system restored it back to its original glory. HOWEVER....

I'm wondering whether there's a way to both preserve the old Administrator account, and at the same time be able to log into it via remote desktop. Just now I enabled remote desktop in Windows XP and specifically added the Administrator account under remote users. However, when attempting to establish a remote desktop session from the Win 10 system, it will show the login box, I type in Administrator, "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction."

If I can somehow preserve this account and get remote desktop working... think it's possible?

Back