• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video games for each era (gen)of video cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Kinda of a vague question..
Was wondering if you guys knew of a list or could suggest games from each generation of video cards.

I.E.
Voodoo2 days
Red Faction
Voodoo3
Starseige
Geforce 256?

Geforce 2?

Geforce 3..etc... all the way up to the 6800 series?

(I dont know my ATi generations all that well or Id have referenced them as well).

I remember when the 7900GTX hit the market, F.E.A.R. was the video card crusher at the time. Soft shadows were a big deal.

Following that, the 8800GTX/Ultras I think Crysis was around by then.

I can't think of any games recently that are video card killers... Only one off the top of my head is Metro 2033? Bad Company 2?

Bad Company 2 is the latest video card killer. I'd say most are running it in DX 9, less in DX10. And the few that are running it in DX11 mode, are typically equipped with Core i7/ATI 58xx/59xx combos.

I remember getting a Voodoo 5500 AGP card to play Emperor Battle for Dune :) game was alright if I recall correctly.

Bad Company 2 is the latest video card killer. I'd say most are running it in DX 9, less in DX10. And the few that are running it in DX11 mode, are typically equipped with Core i7/ATI 58xx/59xx combos.
A single 285 runs BFBC2 with 8xCSAA @ 1920x1080 with 50+FPS (DX10)...I'll let you know how a 470 does in DX11 with the same settings... ;)

Metro 2033 seems to be the latest killer to me....

GeForce 4 for Morrowind. I had a 4600 and Morrowind looked fantastic. Maybe Far Cry for the 6 series. Doom 3 is a good one to. I can't think of anything for the 9700, 9800/fx era though hmm let me think.

5 series was for Unreal II T 2004? Or again for the 6 series?

I don't remember a lot of buzz for the 5 series.

I remember the nvidia 5 series being around the time of the original Call of Duty and Doom 3 came just slightly after, as well as Half Life 2.

I remember because my brother's Dell had an FX 5200 and he was playing Call of Duty and Half Life 2 and Doom 3.

Lets see

Voodoo3: Star Wars Rebel Allience, Total annihilation, Warcraft I,II, Fallout II, Chaos Gate, Elder Scrolls II, Janes ATF Modern Aircombat.

Nvidia TI4600: NFS High Stakes, NFS Porshce Unleashed, Unreal T., COD, Medal of Honor, Homeworld European Air War.

Nvidia 5700Ultra: BF1942, Morrowind, COD2, expansions of the Medal of Honor, The SIMS.

Nvidia 6600Gt's in SLI...pretty much the same games as the 5700ultras: Crimson Skies, Echelon, FarCry, Soldner, Freelancer, Empire Total War, Black & WHite, GTA III, Modern AIr Combat.

7900GT's OC in SLI: S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Half Life II, BF2, BF2142, Homeworld II, Total WarII, Dawn of War, Just Cause, GTA VIce, and San Andreas.

8800GTS (g92) FarcryII, Crysis, SupremeCommander, Sins of a Solar Empire, STALKER Clear Skies, GTA IV, Flight Sim X.

I've always found a good measurement is the 3dmark benchmarks vs the respective cards. basically if a game was made before 3Dmark 06, and X gfx card smashes 3dmark 06 then any of those games will be a breeze.

STB Velocity 128 - BattleZone

Voodoo Banshee - Quake 3

ATI 9700 - Battlefield 1942

ATI 9800 Pro - Battlefield 2

ATI 1900XT - Guild Wars

GF 8800GT - Crysis

Voodoo3: Star Wars Rebel Allience, Total annihilation, Warcraft I,II, Fallout II, Chaos Gate, Elder Scrolls II, Janes ATF Modern Aircombat.

Warcraft (1) is a much older game than all the other games for that particular list. I happen to have a Warcraft (1) Orcs and Humans disc. It is a DoS game. :cool: It wanted CPU more than video. I also have Fallout 1-3. Plus some of the Jane games. All fun games IMO.
Just the [original] Warcraft didn't need that much card and was out much much earlier than the rest in your list. Now I would think Warcraft ii and iii is more on top of it.

Last edited:
Kinda of a vague question..
Was wondering if you guys knew of a list or could suggest games from each generation of video cards.

I.E.
Voodoo2 days
Red Faction
Voodoo3
Starseige
Geforce 256?

Geforce 2?

Geforce 3..etc... all the way up to the 6800 series?

(I dont know my ATi generations all that well or Id have referenced them as well).

I'm pretty sure that Red Faction would kill a Voodoo 2, it came out more than 3 years later and it was D3D!

I think he was asking about games that came out around the same time as the video cards and really pushed them.

Exactly, but all of these have been great suggestions. Amazon.com is gonna LOVE me...just played and beat Red Faction, starting on number 2.
Before that it was....

Actually working on building a rig based on older hardware, (hence the want to buy in the classifieds)...to play these games the way they were meant to be played. Been scooping up older video cards as well, starting with a GefoceFX 5900 Ultra. Need to grab some 3dfx cards, the voodoo3 I was given is dead.

Warcraft (1) is a much older game than all the other games for that particular list. I happen to have a Warcraft (1) Orcs and Humans disc. It is a DoS game. :cool: It wanted CPU more than video. I also have Fallout 1-3. Plus some of the Jane games. All fun games IMO.
Just the [original] Warcraft didn't need that much card and was out much much earlier than the rest in your list. Now I would think Warcraft ii and iii is more on top of it.

Ahh...yeah, memory is kinda blurred before the voodoo (I think I had a Turtle Beach Vid card before the voodoo) I think it would be the same about the Chaos Gate game also, was along the Warcraft I timeline.......Though I do remeber that the games I mentioned were good stressers for the cards of that time.

Anybody remember the game that came bundled with Windows 98 machines back in the day?
It was under Microsoft I belive, and it was a stragey futuristic based game where you had to build these little blue tanks and errect towers. And defend against some weird enemies i think....been way too long.
Alot of the game was blue...and kinda out there. I have been looking for it forever and cant seem to find anything close.

Back