• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Erros

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

363rdc

System:
Q9550 at 3.2 Ghz (just got it and am still tweaking) VCore @ 1.2V
Kingston HyperX 1066 DDR2.
MoBo: eVGA 780i sli

Currently the memory timing is 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v. The 780i is stock with 400Mhz DDR2 clock. So it is overclocked slightly to 1066 (total) with the factory suggested timing and voltages. After about two hours of Memtest86 there is a memory error reported.

Should I worry about tweaking this or just RMA the memory?

System:
Q9550 at 3.2 Ghz (just got it and am still tweaking) VCore @ 1.2V
Kingston HyperX 1066 DDR2.
MoBo: eVGA 780i sli

Currently the memory timing is 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v. The 780i is stock with 400Mhz DDR2 clock. So it is overclocked slightly to 1066 (total) with the factory suggested timing and voltages. After about two hours of Memtest86 there is a memory error reported.

Should I worry about tweaking this or just RMA the memory?

I don't see any HyperX DDR2 running at 1.8v. Recheck the specs and see if they aren't in the 2.0 - 2.2v range. Set your default timings and voltage manually in your BIOS.

Do you have a link to your exact RAMs?

thanx for the reply. here is a link to Kingston's tech specs: http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp#1066d

they're the KHX8500D2K2/4 kits; I'm currently running 4x2 of it.

Looking again, it states from 2.2v - 2.3v at 1066Mhz, my bad. Tried this and my MoBo goes into safe mode (safe settings).

I've been running for 3.5 hours at 1.8v for 800mhz and no errors yet. Could the incorrect voltages cause these errors?

EDIT: with the 1.8v @ 800Mhz, it just now passed step 2, where the 1066 clock failed.

Last edited:
thanx for the reply. here is a link to Kingston's tech specs: http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp#1066d

they're the KHX8500D2K2/4 kits; I'm currently running 4x2 of it.

Looking again, it states from 2.2v - 2.3v at 1066Mhz, my bad. Tried this and my MoBo goes into safe mode (safe settings).

I've been running for 3.5 hours at 1.8v for 800mhz and no errors yet. Could the incorrect voltages cause these errors?

Yes, low voltage settings will cause errors. Are you saying your BIOS/motherboard won't let you set the voltage to 2.2 - 2.3v? Try it with 2 sticks of RAMs. You are underclocking your RAM's potential @ 800mhz 1.8v, but that should work at that voltage but you're not taking advantage of your performance RAMs. It's not a problem at all but you're just not running your RAMs to their potential if your motherboard won't support 2.2 - 2.3v.

Your RAMs look like they are fine but you'll need 2.2 - 2.3v to run them at 1066.

Yes, low voltage settings will cause errors. Are you saying your BIOS/motherboard won't let you set the voltage to 2.2 - 2.3v? Try it with 2 sticks of RAMs. You are underclocking your RAM's potential @ 800mhz 1.8v, but that should work at that voltage but you're not taking advantage of your performance RAMs. It's not a problem at all but you're just not running your RAMs to their potential if your motherboard won't support 2.2 - 2.3v.

Your RAMs look like they are fine but you'll need 2.2 - 2.3v to run them at 1066.
I'll give it a try with 2. Yes, I was just underclocking just to test them out.

thank you.

Back