• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Running very hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

So I have the side of my case off. Running a 8800GTS with a zalman f700 cooler/as5. CPU idles around 45º and about 60º load. However, my GPU is idling around 70º and will quickly climb to 100º+ within minutes of being used. I put the stock cooler back on and temperatures didn't change at all.

Any ideas? Its really impeding graphical performance and I can't see to get that temperature down.

I see you're in Florida, so it's gonna be tough to drop those temps if your ambient temps are high.

If you can put a house fan blowing into the case it might help. Now if you have central air, then you need to adjust fanspeed on the video card using rivatuner.

Are you reporting 3D temperatures or 2D Temperatures when you say "being used"? It is not uncommon for GPUs to hit 90C+ momentarily in 3D. Do you see these temps with the GPU fan going full blast?

70C idling is extremely bad!! get some compressed air and blow out ur case and vga fan. then see if temps drop. I do that every 6 months when my 4890 is running hot. drops temps 6C on average every time.

I am using the NTune temp monitor for the temp readings during real time, so I am not sure if those are 2d/3d temps.

I also ran a stability test (not 100% on which program it was, will look when I get back) and it displayed fps max/min and current temps. started at 47fps at 70 then after 3 minutes, dropped to about 18 fps hitting 101. SO also go temperature readings from that program.

Speedfan i always had troubling figuring out which were which, so I had only used that for CPU Temps.

I would check your fan, can you hear it whining. If that is not the problem then I would recheck your TIM.

no it doesn't whine. Whats a TIM? Its also not overclocked either. None of the system is.

TIM is Thermal Interface Material - Thermal Paste, and did you have any Ram sinks on Memory chips with the f700 cooler,
also have you got the memory thermal pads still on the stock cooler

Yeah I do. I tried putting the stock one back on, but the temperatures didn't really change at all. I removed the AS5 and put on a new layer and nothing. Im pretty good at putting that stuff on also, as ive used it with more then a few CPUs.

When I put the stock one back on, my idle was lower, it dropped to 60º. However, after a minute of the stability test, it was back up to 88º. Just after 1 minute. After 3 minutes, 103.

no it doesn't whine. Whats a TIM?
As stated above, TIM is Thermal Interface Material.

If no TIM, too much TIM, old TIM were used, or contaminated TIM were used between the GPU and its heatsink, high termperatures may be noticed.

That's what i'm thinking, sounds like you tried everything. Just for the heck of it, try uninstalling the drivers and use DriverSweeper and install new drivers, it it probably won't work just thought of it as a last ditch effort.:shock:

Back