• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H50, Therm Venom X, Noctua up12

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delicio

I have read many, many reviews regarding these three fans. Each review has there own sets of datas and difference of conclusions making it harder to narrow down my choice. As of now Im trying to create an optimum build of performance, as much silence as possible, and relatively smallish heatsink/fan. Im leaning more towards the Corsairs H50s and putting them in a push/pull config. However I read better performance is achievable by replacing the stock corsair fan and replacing it with 2 aftermarket 120mms.

My (soon to be) build:
intel i7-930
ASUS P6X58D Premium
corsair 1000w
nvidia 470gtx

So two questions:
1. OF those 3 coolers I listed (h50, Venom, Noctua) or any other one, what do you prefer?
2. Secondly, for the Corsair h50 (and any other heatsink) what are a good set of effective airflow but low noise level fans?
These Scythes seem to have an exceptional airflow to noise ratio. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185091

(Note: I also consider the size, preferably not something huge. And this will be my first build =D)

=)

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, the H50 will probably get you the absolute lowest temperature. However, I've heard people complaining about the noise of the pump. If you do go with the H50, definitely get two fans - http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

Noctua's DH14 is probably a more direct competitor to the Venomous X/H50, and I've heard that their fans don't produce enough pressure to push air through the thin fin spacing, even with the push/pull.

I'm upgrading my PC in a few weeks with a similar configuration to yours, and I'm going with a Venomous X. As far as fans, I'm very fond of Panaflo. They're fairly thick and produce a decent amount of pressure/airflow. I get the medium speed ones and run them on a fan controller at 7V and it gives me good temps on my TRUE-120! (link)

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Strictly speaking, the H50 will probably get you the absolute lowest temperature. However, I've heard people complaining about the noise of the pump. If you do go with the H50, definitely get two fans - http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

Noctua's DH14 is probably a more direct competitor to the Venomous X/H50, and I've heard that their fans don't produce enough pressure to push air through the thin fin spacing, even with the push/pull.

I'm upgrading my PC in a few weeks with a similar configuration to yours, and I'm going with a Venomous X. As far as fans, I'm very fond of Panaflo. They're fairly thick and produce a decent amount of pressure/airflow. I get the medium speed ones and run them on a fan controller at 7V and it gives me good temps on my TRUE-120! (link)

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Did you check out the link about the Sycthes I posted? Those also have a great airflow to noise ratio...actually better than the ones you just posted for Panflow. But those are just numbers as Ive never dealt with any of these. I do want to go with the H50s but need a good set of fans to go along with it.

On top of this, I checked out thermalrights site and they have an updated Venom heatsink/fan out call the Venomous X-RT. Ive been looking at that for a while but I believe the Corsair H50 will still outperform it.

Out of the three, the only one i have used is the Venomous X, but i was very satisfied with the performance. I believe that all three coolers are very close together in performance with the h50 slightly in the lead as kayson said, but it seems to me that the venomous x is a less complicated solution than the h50, and smaller than the dh14.

I have my system underwater now and am loving it, but i have to say that the Venomous x is the single best air cooler i have ever used. Had my i7 920 clocked to 4.2 ghz at 75C under load.

In conclusion, if you couldn't tell, i highly recommend the venemous x :thup:

Out of the three, the only one i have used is the Venomous X, but i was very satisfied with the performance. I believe that all three coolers are very close together in performance with the h50 slightly in the lead as kayson said, but it seems to me that the venomous x is a less complicated solution than the h50, and smaller than the dh14.

I have my system underwater now and am loving it, but i have to say that the Venomous x is the single best air cooler i have ever used. Had my i7 920 clocked to 4.2 ghz at 75C under load.

In conclusion, if you couldn't tell, i highly recommend the venemous x :thup:

;D Yeah I was going to go with the Venoms for a while but realized the H50 is a better performer. Eh well see what happens. My ONLY question now is, what do you guys recommend for fans? I think the one I listed were quite good. I checked out the Panflows and they werent as good compared to the Sycthes. Let me know!

Did you check out the link about the Sycthes I posted? Those also have a great airflow to noise ratio...actually better than the ones you just posted for Panflow.
Oh yeah, the airflow/noise for a panaflo is definitely not the best, but it can get a lot quieter than a scythe while still performing adequately.

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet, but are you planning on OCing? If you're not, you could probably get away with a venomous X and 1 or even 0 fans...that would be crazy quiet

Oh yeah, the airflow/noise for a panaflo is definitely not the best, but it can get a lot quieter than a scythe while still performing adequately.

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet, but are you planning on OCing? If you're not, you could probably get away with a venomous X and 1 or even 0 fans...that would be crazy quiet

Well this is my first build and Im trying to get great components to last me for a while. I do plan on OC'ing, maybe moderately at first (as I have never done it before). Ive been looking this morning and it seems that the Prolimatech Megahelms are one of the best choices for a heatsink. ANd maybe throw on some Noctua fans. What do you think?

Well this is my first build and Im trying to get great components to last me for a while. I do plan on OC'ing, maybe moderately at first (as I have never done it before). Ive been looking this morning and it seems that the Prolimatech Megahelms are one of the best choices for a heatsink. ANd maybe throw on some Noctua fans. What do you think?

I've seen mixed reviews on the noctua fans. They'll definitely be quiet, though.

As far as the heatsink, there are probably a thousand forum posts across hundreds of websites asking which is better among Venomous X, DH14, H50, and Megahalems. The general consensus is that you won't be able to notice a significant difference between any of them in temperature.

That being said, I would suggest picking your cooler based on other factors. Price would be a big one. Since noise is a big concern, going with the quietest combo is probably a good idea. Another thing you need to consider is size. You didn't list what case you have, but some people have trouble fitting the larger heatsinks. You might also run into issues with your RAM not fitting.

If noise is your top concern, I'd probably go with the Noctua UP12. Assuming you want a simple solution (meaning no 7V mods, fan controllers, etc) that would probably be the quietest.

I've seen mixed reviews on the noctua fans. They'll definitely be quiet, though.

As far as the heatsink, there are probably a thousand forum posts across hundreds of websites asking which is better among Venomous X, DH14, H50, and Megahalems. The general consensus is that you won't be able to notice a significant difference between any of them in temperature.

That being said, I would suggest picking your cooler based on other factors. Price would be a big one. Since noise is a big concern, going with the quietest combo is probably a good idea. Another thing you need to consider is size. You didn't list what case you have, but some people have trouble fitting the larger heatsinks. You might also run into issues with your RAM not fitting.

If noise is your top concern, I'd probably go with the Noctua UP12. Assuming you want a simple solution (meaning no 7V mods, fan controllers, etc) that would probably be the quietest.

My build will be:
i7-930
Asus Premium mobo
Corsair dominators 6gb
and CM HAF 922 case

It doesnt have to be the quietest cooler but the less noise the better. Im not sure what 7v mods are. For fan controllers cant you just change those settings in the BIOS? (I just want to keep one fan speed)

Some other questions:
Does the Corsair H50 require thermal compound? If so does it come packaged with some? If no thermal paste include but required, what would be a good thermal paste?
Of the two fans, which would perform better (on a megahelm, or anything)?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185091
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

If I choose to go with the Prolimatech Megas, will I be able to fit a 200mm side fan on my HAF 922 case?
And why is this so hard?! lol

I want to hurry up and pick something so I can finally order my stuff lol.

My build will be:
i7-930
Asus Premium mobo
Corsair dominators 6gb
and CM HAF 922 case

It doesnt have to be the quietest cooler but the less noise the better. Im not sure what 7v mods are. For fan controllers cant you just change those settings in the BIOS? (I just want to keep one fan speed)

Some other questions:
Does the Corsair H50 require thermal compound? If so does it come packaged with some? If no thermal paste include but required, what would be a good thermal paste?
Of the two fans, which would perform better (on a megahelm, or anything)?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185091
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

If I choose to go with the Prolimatech Megas, will I be able to fit a 200mm side fan on my HAF 922 case?
And why is this so hard?! lol

I want to hurry up and pick something so I can finally order my stuff lol.

You can do some adjustments in the bios to keep the noise down. Asus mobos have this thing called Q-Fan that gives you some control over fans (there's a quiet mode). Also keep in mind that you'll have case fans, and those can be quite noisy if you don't lower the speed.

Whatever cooler you get, I'd suggest buying new thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 and IC Diamond 7 are probably two of the top easy choices.

Between those two fans, I'd go with the gentle typhoon. It'll give you adequate performance and is slightly quieter.

As far as case clearance, there's not really any way to know unless you can find someone who has that case and heatsink.

These decisions tend to be difficult if you spend a lot of time researching because there's no right answer. There's not one best heatsink period, and most of the time the differences between one and the other are marginal. My advice is to just pick something and go with it. You won't be disappointed no matter what you get.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or back me up if I'm right, but I highly suggest you do research on the cooling solution you choose and the Corsair Dominators for clearance. I think you'll be OK, but with the heat spreader coming off the Dominators, better safe than sorry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or back me up if I'm right, but I highly suggest you do research on the cooling solution you choose and the Corsair Dominators for clearance. I think you'll be OK, but with the heat spreader coming off the Dominators, better safe than sorry.

Ive been doing exactly what you said for the past couple days. I was about to go with the Megahelms and pray to god for no overlapping on the RAM would happen. But better safe than sorry Im switching to Venom X which still has great, if not similar performance. Any good fans youd recommend for the Venoms? Looking for something quiet but still performs well. What do you think?

(Unless someone can come in here and tell me otherwise that the Megahelms do not interfere with the RAM on the Asus premium mobo.)

Ive been doing exactly what you said for the past couple days. I was about to go with the Megahelms and pray to god for no overlapping on the RAM would happen. But better safe than sorry Im switching to Venom X which still has great, if not similar performance. Any good fans youd recommend for the Venoms? Looking for something quiet but still performs well. What do you think?

(Unless someone can come in here and tell me otherwise that the Megahelms do not interfere with the RAM on the Asus premium mobo.)

Great choice :thup:

PRUNE!! hey what fans would ya recommend? Im going to put my order here in a bit, just need some good performing but quietish fans.

I have a single GentyleTyphoon 1850 on my venomous X. I keep it in an Antec 300 case by my feet and I can't hear the fan (mainly cause I hear the top exhaust fan). If i turn all the other fans off the Gentyle Typhoon is barely audible. But then again, my girlfriend says I never hear her, so take my opinion for what it's worth :)

I have a single GentyleTyphoon 1850 on my venomous X. I keep it in an Antec 300 case by my feet and I can't hear the fan (mainly cause I hear the top exhaust fan). If i turn all the other fans off the Gentyle Typhoon is barely audible. But then again, my girlfriend says I never hear her, so take my opinion for what it's worth :)

You have perfect man hearing and it will improve even more when you get married.:thup:

I have the HAF 922 with a side fan and a Coolermaster V8, and the V8 with about 3mm clearance. According to the measurements, the Megahalems and Venomous X are both slightly shorter, so they will definitely fit with a side fan. Idk if it will interfere with the dominators, but the Megahalems has wider fin spacing, better for low speed (quiet) fans. Depends how quiet you want though, and I'm sure the Venomous will perform admirably with low noise. Anyway, Gentle Typhoons or Yate Loons, depending on how much you want to spend.

Back