• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Knufire

So, my first build is now 8 months old, and school just got out, so I figured it was time for an upgrade. I mostly use this computer for gaming, pretty much all the latest FPS (except Crysis). Well, I have a lot of options for the upgrade, but only a limited budget, so I was wondering which option would give me the best increase in performance for the price. System specs in the sig.
I'd say my budget for this upgrade is around $300, but I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, not really upgrading what isn't essential.

Options:
Get a duplicate hard drive, run in RAID 0
Sound Card
USB 3.0 Card (Though seems like a waste, there aren't many 3.0 devices that I would use yet)
New Cooling System (Venomous-X plus fans/H50, but exactly how much does clock speed affect gaming)
Blu-Ray Drive
New Monitor
Forget the whole thing and get an iPad :bday:

Other suggestions are welcome too.

Last edited:
Sell your current card, buy a 5850 and an SSD.

*edit* most other options are just spending money to spend IMO, except the monitor...dual monitors is incredible for productivity.

Well, since ajrettke had to beat everyone here, this thread is basically finished.

He said it perfectly. When I looked through, SSD popped into my mind first, and then I saw the 4890. I'm not sure what kind of cash you can get out of a 4890 these days, but lets say $125. That gives you $425 to spend and since you could get a 60gb SSD for Os at about $150 dollars, and you could buy a 5850 for ~$275, that seems to put us perfectly at $425. :thup:

Back