• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rawr, nerdrage, just broke the pins on my HDT-S1283

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayn

I have been slowly getting worse and worse temps on my system below. Even at stock settings with all the speedstep stuff turned on, when the system is at idle it never went below 45c. Finally I decided to change the thermal grease. When I put the HDT-S1283 back on ( with the fan still attached, mind you, uggghh ) I snapped the !@#$%^ plastic things. I snapped two of them ARGH!!!!

I am beginning to think it was never on correctly in the first place. With my computer on it's side and gravity pushing my heatsink down on the CPU ( with NO push pins attached ) I am idling at 4c lower haha.

Should I just go ahead and put a bolt on kit? I will take the ENTIRE mobo out of course since I have to anyway. I was looking around, will this kit work?

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

Also when I switch to 1366 or 1156, will I be able to get a bracket to work wit this HDT-S1283 or will I need a new hsf?

Thanks!

I am glad AMD doesn't have this problem! Although... last night while trying to get my HS off, the little AMD clip wouldn't come off and I accidently stabbed my mobo with a screwdriver while trying to pry it off. So... push pins don't sound that bad :thup:

Yeah this was my first Intel build, I was an AMD fanoy for a good 8-10 years. I couldn't believe this horrible system . . .

So it costs $5 for the item and another $5 for shipping. I am curious, why cant I just bolt up the heatsink to the mobo myself with 4 bolts, washers and nuts?

You can even do that like myself and others have done and even make your own Rear plate,
but for $10 if you dont have the tools or materials to make plate then its a good deal!
have a look at my Projects even The Sled one l(ink in sig) have made backplates for the cooler on it too!

Yeah I have nothing to make the plate. I was thinking of just buying bolts, plastic washers and nuts but there is the voice in the back of my head saying "don't do it the ghetto way". I guess I will order the kit. :p

Nice work there though, I haven't seen your stuff before. Awesome.

Using washers on the back instead of a plate will either crack your mobo or severely warp it. As long as you have a drill, or a drill press, and some sort of copping saw (a saw that cuts metal) you can make your own back plate. Just buy some decently thick metal stock or even a good size scrap might be free, and drill the holes where the pins would be. Then you can buy some machine bolts and nuts and washers and mount it up! Just make sure you put some electrical tape on the side that touches the mobo so it doesn't short circuit anything.

Back