• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infam0ussteven

Hey forum, I was wondering if the upcoming 64GB version of the C300 will be faster than the 60GB Vertex 2. I ask this because the C300 is a SATA III interface and I would be using this with SATA II. I just figure this will be a better buy than the Vertex 2 because on paper this drive is quicker (in terms of read speeds) than the vertex 2 and is cheaper but the question that still remains is if the Marvell controller is as reliable as the SandForce controller. I'm sorry if my question doesn't make any sense as I am still learning about the different controllers.

Link to the C300 64GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...357&cm_re=crucial_c300-_-20-148-357-_-Product

EDIT* Sorry guys, I should have correctly read the specs off newegg before I posted this. So my new question is which controller is more reliable, Marvell or SandForce?

Last edited:
Sandforce IMO

Getting a SATA 3 drive and running it on SATA 2 board doesnt make any sense unless you have an upgrade in mind for the near future....

With one drive SataII or SataIII shouldnt make much if any difference as a single SSD, even the OCZ Vertex2, doesnt saturate the bandwidth of SataII... ;)

With one drive SataII or SataIII shouldnt make much if any difference as a single SSD, even the OCZ Vertex2, doesnt saturate the bandwidth of SataII... ;)
Yes, they do. Saturating SATAII is normal nowadays.

Reliability-wise it is too early to tell.

They are over 300MB/sec with that drive? Interesting, I didnt know that. Why would they handicap their drive then and put it on a sataII interface?

Were you talking burst only Alpha?

Last edited:
No, I'm talking sustained. 300MB/s is the theoretical limit, not the real one. With overhead and various inefficiencies of the controllers and drivers as well as the particulars of the workload the actual SATAII data throughput is below 300MB/s. It is not a coincidence that all the drives peak on throughput around the same ~265MB/s. We've been hitting throughput limitations since the first Intel SSD in 2008.

Hmm ok thanks for the info...

I guess I wonder why we see results like THIS which are their rated speeds, on SataII.

But THIS shows what you speak of...

LOL.

My apologies for the incorrect info. ;)

I guess I wonder why we see results like THIS which are their rated speeds, on SataII.
Yes, I've also observed that the SandForce drives tend to do really well in ATTO. Considering that ATTO is what the SSD makers use to get their rated speeds, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if SandForce has spent a little extra time on optimizing their SATA controller implementation to do well is ATTO specifically.

hmmm since my mobo supports Sata III I might take a chance on C300s...

I believe the C300's got their name for a reason. IIRC, they are the only SSD that currently can take advantage of Sata III. In otherwords, you get a massive bottleneck without it. I'm not saying other drives aren't bottlenecked, it's just the C300 is well over the bandwidth of Sata II.

Yeah, I do plan to upgrade to a board with SATA III in the future so perhaps I will take a chance on these or just wait for the 25nm nand flash! Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah, the C300 does seem to be the fastest right now for read, but the vertex 2 write speed even being on sata II is much faster. Doesn't that make a difference or do you guys think that the C300 read being as fast as it is, is all that matters?

The Vertex 2 has insane write speeds for an SSD. Now I'm not in anyway putting that down, but honestly, the read speeds are where it's at. While the Vertex 2 is no slouch, the C300 120gb or larger is the read speed king.

What would happen if you Raid 0 two C300's? Will the ICH10R just bottle neck? Would it be better if you were going to Raid 0, to do it with two Vertex 2's?

Back