• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bit out of touch, need opinions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
Ok so since I have extra free time, I decided to build a dedicated, sole use, does one thing gaming rig.

Plan is for 7 x64 Q9300 8gb ram, gtx 260. Here is the kicker and question.

EP45U-UD3LR (requires DDR3)

OR

P5N32 -SLI SE DELUXE (requires DDR2)

I will not go to iX yet as I have no real need. Im just curious if I will see any real benefit over the P5N by switching over to a different board.

Plan is to WC the rig either way.

for ocing yes you will since the NV based chipset runs hot from the get go. adding more chipset voltage it will just run hotter. can you not get the EP45-UD3R or was it the P45-UD3R. in either case though, upgrading to a i5 would be a more sound choice for many reasons, all good IMO.

OOps it is the EP45T-UD3LR added an extra U in there.

I know that going over to an Ix series processor would probably benefit me, but I have the quad already and dont realy have a need for a new proc. The C2Q will do everything I need it to do the same as the iX proc.

A P5N32... that's an Nforce4, right? Can that even handle the 45nm quads? I know the 680i has some issues with 'em, so I wouldn't expect an even older chipset to behave much better.

At the very least, though, you're going to have a lot better luck with a P45 board. That's a pretty low multi chip, so if you want to clock it, you're going to want something that'll handle high FSB, and an old Nvidia chipset is not the thing for that.

There aren't any Core 2 Quad CPUs listed on the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe's CPU Support list on Asus's website, only Core 2 Duo.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Go to that link, search CPU using motherboard, then select your socket, and then motherboard. The support list will come up and I didn't see any C2Q listed.

You'll be able to clock the P45 board much better anyway :D

Back