• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the Loop a bit, Advice appeciated!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Hey guys.

So I haven't been looking at new pc parts in awhile, so I fell out of touch a bit.

The rundown: Starting today, my pc began to randomly shut itself down and reboot. So, After much reluctance, I fear I may finally have to bite the bullet and plunge into a new mobo/CPU/PSU/RAM.

Temps on hwmon, speccy, coretemp, speedfan are all nominal, tested and reproduced by running prime 95, a cpu strain causes it. So, I'm done, its getting axed :p

The videocard and harddrives are brand new, A nice EVGA GTX 770 2gb I got for a steal, and a shiny 120 gb Samsung 840 EVO. I have had these components for a few months, so It wouldn't make sense for them to be the culprits.

I don't need a new case, My NZXT Phantom is still plenty good enough.

My budget is as low as you can get it to be, with a hard ceiling of $650, but the less money I spend, the better.

AMD VS intel? Devil's canyon or *Whatever amd's chip is now.*

8 gigs of 1600 ram is preferred, low profile if possible.

I don't plan to SLI, so What would you recommend for a Power supply after said components?

Motherboard features will be determined based on intel/amd decision.

Current rig details are in sig. Thanks!

The games I play are Space Engineers, Planet Explorers, Star citizen, Eve Online, Kerbal space program, Skyrim, etc etc.

Last edited:
Did you never test the old pc? I assume the OS would cause it to reset..

So your budget is <= $650 for just the cpu/ram/psu/mobo?

I am really falling in love with AMD's APU's which are great to look at if you did not already have a good video card (but they are not good for above mid-level gaming). Everyone will have an opinion, but since you're looking for longish term, I would just suggest Intel. And I would probably go with the 4xxx series since you want an upgrade from the 2500k.

The video card recommends at least a 600w card, so.. :shrug:

Parts ($566 includes shipping):
i7-4770K
GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H
AVEXIR 2*4GB @ 1600
Rosewill Green 630W PSU

Fyi, imo, a 120GB SSD seems small, but if you were already using it, then you obviously know that space is limited ;)

Testing the pc is a understatement..

Can't overclock, or instant BSOD. Any settings except stock causes it to choke and sputter. Ran Memtest86+ for a few hours on various days*no problems detected* Ran prime 95 and ran fine, until today. Now crashes. Temps never exceeded 60C. Furmark to test video card, no problems there, moving on. I had threads open before describing the issues, I just didn't want to derail this thread. The memory controller is on the processor, so I can't rule out the memory still being good. As such...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445 15% off, convienent! Possibity. I might end up with 16 gigs of ram if they turn out to be good.

As for the Hyper threading, is it really worth that extra $100? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372&cm_re=4690k-_-19-117-372-_-Product might be a better solution for me at least with my budget limitations when it comes out.

I have never heard of Avexir...if someone can vouch for them I'll try them.

Not sure how I feel about the PSU either. That was an area I was expecting to spend the most on.

And I think if i go with the step down of the processor, the motherboard can be bumped up a level, Some nice features on the board you suggested, but idk about the chipset. That's why I'm here. If some other peeps can back your suggestions, I might be willing to try them.

Edit: A friend of mine offered to buy my ram with a capped price tag of $75. So +$75:attn:

Last edited:
I would fault the motherboard or PSU in this case. If you are looking to build new I would suggest a 650watt corsair/seasonic PSU with a 4670k and either asus/asrock/gigabyte motherboard.

The ram you have now is plenty good and you won't notice a difference with higher frequencies in real world situations like gaming. When I get home I will put together a list of what I would recommend for your situation.

I would fault the motherboard or PSU in this case. If you are looking to build new I would suggest a 650watt corsair/seasonic PSU with a 4670k and either asus/asrock/gigabyte motherboard.

The ram you have now is plenty good and you won't notice a difference with higher frequencies in real world situations like gaming. When I get home I will put together a list of what I would recommend for your situation.

Roger that.

I happen to like the Asus Z97-Pro mobo a lot http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132116, but as I plan to not sli ever, if I can get a mobo with 6 sata III ports+2 Sata Express ports, and the nice capacitors, I'd be all for that board. I have 2 HDD's, an SSD, and a DVD drive all sata, so the bare minimum ports is 4. I just like having the extra 4 in case of additional sata components added later on.

I was thinking of starting with an Anti-static wristband, the mobo, and the cpu, and if it is still unstable, replace the psu and then the ram. I agree that the ram is plenty fast.

I did test the psu with a multimeter last night, and the voltages appeared to be within spec;

12 volt rail: 12.346V,

5v rail: 5.640V,

3v rail: 3.31V

Software reports wonky numbers, but my board is known to do that.

Hwmon:

12v 9.371V*wouldn't boot with this much, so i know it's off*

5v 4.893V

3v 3.332V

This psu was $180 when i bought it. I'd like to keep it a little bit longer if I can, but will not hesitate to axe it if instability persists.

'Also, I just thought of something...

after i get the mobo/cpu, My mobo is still under warranty, so I think I'll contact msi and see about getting it replaced and get a backup system in case the new one decides to crap out too. idk if my cpu still is under warranty though...

Last edited:
Back