• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LLC question + Turbo core question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yummipies

Registered
If CPU-z is showing CPU voltage at 1.35 while running a stress test and 1.150-1.250 at idle and you turn LLC off, is there a forumla for determining a fixed voltage? Would i keep 1.35? take the average value? or? im not really doing anything specific i know i should just leave it on but im just curious as to what the process would be.

Also another quick question, i have a 1090T with an MSI 890-FXA motherboard and the version of bios it came with does not cupport 6 core technology although it recognizes the CPU just fine, but with the current version i have there is no option to enable/disable turbo boost and during stress tests the clock speed never goes over stock 3.2ghz therefore this means turbo core was never on to begin with and i dont have to worry about it right? Id rather keep it off anyways since id end up turning it off come overclocking time.

1. well every ones V-Droop is different so you have to figure that one out by a case to case basis.

2. well i would say its off because the bios version doesn't support Turbo boost but i would just upgrade the bios so i could be sure its off the last thing i would want would be to find out it was actually on and i have a dead cpu to bury in the back yard.

is it acctually possible for it to be running even though no program is picking it up and it doesnt show up in bios?

Technically the turbo can be on, due to hard code in the CPU itself, but I would trust that MSI did in fact turn it off due to the amount of problems its causing with BIOS.

Turbo and LLC has plagued the BIOS writers ever since the x6 came out.

As for your LLC, figure out which is better for you, on or off. It will be different for everyone.

im just saying i wouldn't trust it to be off it would just make me uncomfortable i would just do a bios upgrade and turn it off just to be safe.

if i bump up the clock to say 3.7ghz without knowing if its on or off would i know right away due to instability issues it causes? i was thinking i could jus up it a bit past turbo boost speeds to find out for sure? i really dont want to flash bios unless i really have to.

the only way to know would be to watch cpu-z while doing anything that uses cpu and see what happens at any clock speed. but can i ask why you don't want to do a bios update?

1. Geez, you have a sloppy board for voltage. LLC raises idle voltage by .2? Idle voltages flip around .1 (assuming its not power saving features)? Anyway, yeah, you should figure out what works best. without LLC, whats the vdroop?

2. See if the newest bios for your board supports it and flash it.

If you right click next to the core section, on CPU-Z, you can change the core number. Flick through those while doing a stress test.

Dolk said:
If you right click next to the core section, on CPU-Z, you can change the core number. Flick through those while doing a stress test.

i ran a stress test and all the cores were at +/- 2mhz of stock 3200mhz.

If I understand correctly Turbo is meant to kick in when only 1-3 threads are running. When you stress test you're probably running six threads so Turbo won't kick in. Try running SuperPi or some other single-threaded app - then watch CPU-Z to see if the CPU speed jumps up. If it doesn't when only stressing one core then Turbo is off. ((If you can find a copy of the older single-threaded Prime95 that would be better so you can run two instances - or maybe the newer version has a setting for now many worker threads to run???))

I'm with Pvt.Dancer on the BIOS update, though. Generally I only update my BIOS when I first get a board but if I were in your position I think I'd upgrade at this point. Even though the board seems to recognize the CPU you don't know what "Gotcha's" may be just around the corner ...

QuietIce said:
I'm with Pvt.Dancer on the BIOS update, though. Generally I only update my BIOS when I first get a board but if I were in your position I think I'd upgrade at this point. Even though the board seems to recognize the CPU you don't know what "Gotcha's" may be just around the corner ...

Pvt.Dancer said:
but can i ask why you don't want to do a bios update?

Yeah i thought about it some more and decided to just update the bios ill be doing it later today, i didn't want to do it at first unless i really had to because first off ive never performed this operation and from everything ive been reading, it seems like a dangerous thing to do especially for a first timer but i read about the MSI flashing tool program they have on their forum and it seems easy enough so ill give it a go.

Back