• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage III Formula QVL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roleki

I was looking at the QVL for the Asus Rampage III Formula and did not see any DDR3-1333 kits listed, though most every datasheet on the board says it supports DDR3-1333. Do they (ASUS) just not bother to waste ink on it, or is truly not supported by that board?

Reason I ask is, I have an unopened 6GB kit of Corsair XMS3 (TR3X6G1333C9) and if I can use that, the ~100.00 I save in RAM can be applied towards getting a board like the RIIIF, as opposed to the P6X58D-E (which does support that kit).

Not that I wouldn't want the P6X58D-E, but the RIIIF has some features that I like better (like the spacing of the 16x/16x slots in case I can afford to go SLI later in life). Then again, the P6X58D-E has a pretty neat feature already - it supports the 'free' RAM I already have.

Any ideas?

BTW, I'm new here.

I can't imagine that good old standard 1333-9-9-9 memory isn't going to work.
Seems to me that the QVL would be quite important for say, 2000-7-7-7, that's right on the edge of everything. 1333-9-9-9? Not so much. I'd be well and truly shocked if it were incompatible.

The QVL list, which is often out of date within a few weeks release of a mobo, only lists the few memory modules the mobo maker has tested. You can go to Corsair or other memory supplier websites and find RAM specifically tested and confirmed to be compatible with your mobo/CPU. Not all RAM runs on all CPUs/Mobos so it's best to pick confirmed compatible memory.

How fast the system will be able to run the RAM is based on numerous factors including the memory controller/CPU/RAM/Mobo, etc.

Thanks for the replies; I'm going to try it out, and if it doesn't work, I'll just put it on the shelf until I can afford the 'correct' RAM. If nothing else, the idiot lights on the RIIIF would make my gaming rig look more important.

Back