• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YAY its finally here!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunchie

Registered
Ok guys my comp has finally arrived

Now lets OC this beast

Before I do so is there anything I should do for a new comp

It has the latest drivers installed and is running Win7 Home premium

is there any settings on anything i should change to get the best out of it before i start to OC it as I am not that familiar with Win 7

Any issues you can see there, I noticed my ram is only single channel which seemed odd, can anyone comment as there are two sticks of 2gb in there and they appear to both be running at 1600, does this seem right to you guys>

Which slots are the ram sticks in? They have to be in the correct slots to run dual channel. Usually, that means both sticks have to be in slots that are the same color.

They are in slot one and three, should I pull the 3 out and put in number 2?

I looked into my case, they are right next to each other in what appears to be slot 1 and 2 but CPUid says single channedl and slot 1 and 3.... what gives?

Change the one in slot #3 to slot #2. Won't hurt anything to try, anyway.

comp2-2.png

Ok so this is how it currently looks, the only bio settings I have changed are turning off cool and quiet and increasing the multiplier to 18.5, only weird thing I noticed is that when it was at stock setting the volts varied from 1.35-1.37 and now with just increasing the multiplier it has gone up automaticially to around 1.4-1.45

seems odd

Also the max temp is wrong, during prime 95 it hit 55 for a fraction of a section and then settled around 52-54

Can anyone suggest how to bring those temps down a bit?

Also do those memory settings look right, dual and unganged, maybe someone with a similar board can comment as I have there are 4 ram slots and I have mine both in the blue slots which are physically when looking at the board the 1st and 3rd slots even tho CPU-Z says they are the 1st and 2nd slots....

Last edited:
dual and unganged is what you want and thats normal for the voltage to increase if you left it on auto and increased the muliplier. try 1.425 vcore and run it through prime and see if it crashes. I would think your temps would be a little lower than 52 with that cooler, what TIM did you use?

Im sorry, im a bit of a noob what does TIM refer to?

Also I manualy changed the bio settings from CPU voltage auto to manual and set it at 1.35

Now according to CPU-Z its varying from 1.29 to 1.31 (maybe some variance is normal?) however the temp has dropped right away down to 44-45

So ill try pushing it to 3.8

ok i raised the volt to 1.36 and got a max temp of 52 on prime 95 with 3.8ghz

Safe ?

52 is safe but are you referring to core temps or CPU (socket) temps. Use a temp monitoring program that gives core temp readings. HWMonitor is a good one in that it gives both CPU temps and core temps. Have you done a long (at least 1 hr.) Prime95 test to cofirm stability at those settings?

Yeah I am using the "core temp program" to be honest I got a little worried and clocked it back to 3.7 I suppose a free 500mhz isnt bad and at 3.7 I can maintain a stock 1.35V and it goes to a max on prime 95 (for about an hour) of 46 so thats not too bad

if anyone can think how to lower the temps then that would be cool though as I would love to push for that elusive 4ghz mark

:)

Ok... so I had a weird problem

The overclock was sitting nicely at 3.7 and everything seems fine

So im playing sc2 and all of a sudden it says it has errored and that the install is corrupt...

So I go hmmmm ok, restart

Same again, so I tried to reinstall it

It says the hard disk is full or corrupt

So im thinking... WHAT THE HELL

So after a few more restarts its starts saying that windows explorer is not working and starts shutting itself down repeatedly....

So I checked all the updates and they are current

So im thinking ok reinstall of windows time

So I tried to do this and it got half way through the install and says "unexpected error cannot install problem with disk reading"

So I googled the error code and found quite a few threads with people having the same problem and removing a stick of ram and it working fine....

So I tried this, removed one of my 2gb sticks and BAM it works fine now, reinstalled windows (kinda slow now on 2gb)

But my question is do you guys think that the original problem probably goes back to a fault stick of ram?

Its a brand new rig, what should I do?

To answer your previous question of, "what is TIM?" Thermal Interface Material. The paste, or silicone based material that sits between your CPU and the heatsink, that helps with the heat dissipation.
Do you know what brand of TIM is on your CPU? If it's a decent TIM, then the only other way to decrease temps would be to.. if possible add another fan onto it for push/pull airflow. If that doesn't work, buying a better heatsink is the final option.
I agree with QI about increasing DRAM voltage. I would also like to suggest that you increase your CPU-NB speed from 2000 to 2400 if you're running the CPU in the 3.7-3.8Ghz range.

How about making a full system spec sig? (Like mine) So we have a better idea of what hardware you're working with. Also include bigger screenshots, I can barely read some of the numbers lol.

Also, when you say you're computer arrived, it sounds like you ordered it from a website rather than build it yourself or have someone else build it. Would you mind clearing that one up? :p It can help out greatly knowing if it's a 'brand' rather than custom built.

Last question for the moment... Did you read through Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II? If you have not, please give that a good scan through so you have an idea of what you're doing and how certain clock ranges tie together like 3.7-3.8Ghz CPU should have around 2400Mhz CPU-NB speed while keeping your HT link at or around 2000. And typically what voltages are needed for a certain speed. But of course not every chip is identical, and some will run great at a high clock and low voltage, and others just don't have that kind of luck. I could never get 3.9Ghz stable on my 955 C3, so I ran at 3.8Ghz. I've seen several chips reach 4Ghz, but I never could..
Not long ago I had the option of upgrading, and went with this Thuban 1075T, and I'm at 4.05Ghz with 1.39v, 9 hours Prime95 stable with max temps of 46*C. Sometimes a good OC is just the luck of the draw.

Last edited:
Ok... so I had a weird problem

The overclock was sitting nicely at 3.7 and everything seems fine

So im playing sc2 and all of a sudden it says it has errored and that the install is corrupt...

So I go hmmmm ok, restart

Same again, so I tried to reinstall it

It says the hard disk is full or corrupt

So im thinking... WHAT THE HELL

So after a few more restarts its starts saying that windows explorer is not working and starts shutting itself down repeatedly....

So I checked all the updates and they are current

So im thinking ok reinstall of windows time

So I tried to do this and it got half way through the install and says "unexpected error cannot install problem with disk reading"

So I googled the error code and found quite a few threads with people having the same problem and removing a stick of ram and it working fine....

So I tried this, removed one of my 2gb sticks and BAM it works fine now, reinstalled windows (kinda slow now on 2gb)

But my question is do you guys think that the original problem probably goes back to a fault stick of ram?

Its a brand new rig, what should I do?

It does sound like a ram problem to me. OS data being corrupted like that usually points to ram.

Put both sticks back in, return settings to stock, then run Memtest86+ for several hours to test the ram. Memtest86+ runs from a bootable CD or floppy drive in DOS. After you burn the disc just leave it in the drive and reboot. Let it grind away for several hours.

Lunchie, could you make those pics bigger from now on. Can hardly read them.

Yeah sure, can make then bigger no worries

Well now im not so sure its the ram

I tried pulling out a stick and swapping it with another slot and it runs perfect, but if I put it back in slot 2 it has a melt down.

in terms of my OC I have got it running stock everything and 3.7ghz and it max's at 46 so Im really happy with that.

Very weird about the ram though.

Back