• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YAY its finally here!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So either stick by itself is good in any slot but together they have problems? That sounds more like a stability problem than a RAM problem.

Did you try running MemTest yet ...?

Use Memtest86+. There is another just called Memtest but it is not as well maintained.

I ran memtest and it came back all fine and dandy, so I tried bumping up the VDRAM volts to 1.55 and its seems fine..... for now.....

it was on auto and was at 1.65 when I changed it

How long did you run memtest86+? You ought to run it for at least 4 passes which may take a few hours on some rigs.

Yeah I spoke too soon, it crapped itself again, So I tried swapping in the other stick of ram and now its running fine, so its not the ram I dont think

Ok so the ram saga continues. I have been testing it for the last couple weeks and it ONLY faults when there are both ram sticks in or the one I shall called black ram.

The black ram stick also faults on its own but not when its just the other stick in. So i know there is something up with this ram stick.

I tried running MEMtest86 for 13 hours and i couldnt get the thing to fault, can anyone suggest anything as the company that built the comp says they think its the MOBO but I really dont see how as the fault is clearing only occuring when a certain stick is in useage.

Do you guys think it is more likely that memtest would find the issues if i tried running the test with both sticks in?

So yeah in a nutshell

Good ram stick only= sweet

"Black ram stick" = fault

Both ram sticks = fault

Memtest86 for 13 hours with "black ram stick only" = no fault found

Is it worth memtesting with both sticks in?

So let me get this straight first.

By itself:
Black stick mem test=Pass
Black stick OS=fail

Good ram mem test=Pass
Good ram OS=Pass

I am assuming you are talking about the OCZ 2x2GB in your sig? and not another rig. link to specs on it? also what are the settings in bios on them.

Ah sorry,

Both are OCZ, both brought brand new running stock voltages from above pics

Also when I have the good ram stick and the "black stick" both in OS fail

can you provide a link to the ram. looking up above I am seeing specs at lower timing than it is running at, also what voltage is the ram running ? its like the bios is running it at higher timing than the spd. What voltage are you running the cpu-nb at?

Actually the link I provided is for the new intel ram, mine says "black edition ready" but the 8,8,8 timings on the stick of ram on the label are the same.

OK, you have it running at 1.5 volts? specs calling for 1.65volts. also have you tried dropping the freq and tightening up the timing?

Actually the link I provided is for the new intel ram, mine says "black edition ready" but the 8,8,8 timings on the stick of ram on the label are the same.

And what does the voltage on the side of the ram say? not what we are linked to we may be comparing apples and oranges.

On the side of the ram it says 1.65

So i went into bios and changed the DRAM Volts to 1.65, but then I ran CPU-Z it still says its only at 1.5.....

CPU-Z is telling you the spd not the voltage it is running at. Try it again at that voltage. Also in order to run it at that high of a freq. you may have to relax it to 2T in order to get it to work. I still believe you would be better off dropping the freq. and tightening up the timing and it would probably work better for you overall, this way you could run it at 1T. My ram that I have in order for it to run at 1600 I have to make it 2T, but if I drop the freq to 1300 and tighten up the timing I can run it at 1T.

So the link I posted about where it says VOLTAGE 1.50 in CPU is not the actual voltage of the ram?

Also how do I go about tightening the timing and lowering the frequency?>

Back