• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YAY its finally here!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pretty pointless for anything unless you've got the cpuNB REALLY cranked up there ...

What would be the reason to have the cpuNB cranked up pretty high?
Noob here.. Not really sure what cpuNB really is :chair:

From what i understand like you said earlier (DDR3-1333 @ CAS 7 is generally better than DDR3-1600 @ CAS 9. There are some performance gains above 1333 but not as much as the tighter timings)

So that must mean this ram is pretty good right?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144425
GeIL Evo Two 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660)
CAS Latency: 6
Timing: 6-6-6 For some reason it doesnt list the last number :shrug:

I already have it running at 3.7ghz on stock volts just upped the MULTI, have had that OC the whole time since the first week.

Also is there much of an effect running the ram at 1333 instead of 1600 in terms of performance?> also same again for 1T and 2T, what is the actual effect?

I see it now you have two pics one showing it running at stock the other showing it at 3.7ghz, but it still shows you only running the CPU-NB at stock and did you adjust the CPU-NB VID to help with the OC?

What would be the reason to have the cpuNB cranked up pretty high?
Noob here.. Not really sure what cpuNB really is :chair:
The cpuNB is on the CPU and contains, among other things, the L3 cache and IMC (Integrated Memory Controller), which feeds data to the RAM. That's why having a high cpuNB speed is needed to take advantage of a high RAM speed, because it passes all the data to/from RAM ...

The cpuNB is on the CPU and contains, among other things, the L3 cache and IMC (Integrated Memory Controller), which feeds data to the RAM. That's why having a high cpuNB speed is needed to take advantage of a high RAM speed, because it passes all the data to/from RAM ...

Ohh ok... gotcha :thup:

well I guess I spoke too soon, I turned my comp on this morning and it started giving me all sorts of errors saying the install of various programs was corrupt and couldnt run, I pulled out one of the sticks and BAM, now it works perfectly...... this is getting really frustrating

Also no, I havn't touched anything other than the multiplier

You may want to reset bios to defaults then set the timing and voltage on the ram and see if it is working, its best to start at the bottom and work your way up. Also does this seem to happen when the system has been off for awhile or does it happen even if just doing a reboot after the system has been up for awhile?

Nar it happens anytime, last night it was off the whole night and it crapped itself first thing thismorning and then the other time I had been running memtest for 13 hours with 0 errors and then I restart it and it craps itself, I am thinking I should just send the whole rig back to the manufacturer as they have said that is an option

Ok guys time for an update. I sent my comp back to the supplier who tested and retested and found that it was the OCZ ram, so they have replaced it with Kingston Hyper X series.
Also they spent some time fiddling with my overclock while they had it and now I have a clean 4.06ghz that maxs out at 52 Degrees during testing or playing.

So in short I am a very happy camper :)

Nice. After reading this I was sure that it was either the ram or motherboard slots. Glad you got it figured out though. Memtest is a good tool but doesn't always give the answer as some ram will pass the test but then still cause problems.

Back