• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good deal? graphics card recommendation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scotty21

Registered
I found what I think is a deal, i want your opinions.

GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard

Super Talent RAM 4gb i could go for the 8 gb but i cant afford that.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - 2.53Ghz, 3MB L2, 1066 processor

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 450 watt Power Supply

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cpu cooler

offered him 150 for it.

What would you recommend for a graphics card, my budget allows maybe $90

Thank you for your input.
Scott

if your power supply can handle it

9800 GT $50

$114.99 with an instant $65 off coupon for entering CLT18064 at checkout. Good until 11:59pm 1/24

You need a 6pin power connector to run the card though, so if your PSU doesn't have spare power (if its like an OEM 400w or less PSU) then this may not work well

Thats a 512 mb card.
i currently have in my agp system a Nvidia geforce 7600 GS 512 mb card.

can you explain to me how this card 9800gt is much better other than the pci express? I never understood why graphics cards with the same mb are better than others.

Scott

Ram in most cases isnt a deciding factor unless you have a large monitor (1920x1080+ res). Anything under that and 512MB shouldnt be a factor.

That 450W PSU you listed will handle a 9800GT. The 9800GT is WAY faster than your 7600GS. WAY faster.

Thats a 512 mb card.
i currently have in my agp system a Nvidia geforce 7600 GS 512 mb card.

can you explain to me how this card 9800gt is much better other than the pci express? I never understood why graphics cards with the same mb are better than others.

Scott

RAM amount doesn't mean much. As EartDog stated, more RAM is needed for high resolutions.

These have much more effect on a GPU's performance:

RAM type (DDR1/2/3/5)
Memory Bus
Memory Bandwidth
Pixel and Texture Fillrate
Shaders
Raster Operators
Texture Units

The 9800GT murders a 7600GS AGP. The 9800GT is at least 3x better in every category :)

untitled.JPG

I would be running this from dvi to vga via the dvi to vga adapter. to a view sonic 15" vga monitor at a resolution of 1024 x 768 running mainly microsoft flight simulator X and realflight G5.5 rc plane simulator. currently running this resolution and low settings on flight sim X and still lags a hair. the realflight G5 running at medium settings with very little lag.

would I be able to turn both of these up if not all the way with this 9800gt?

Thank you,
Scott

dang 4 mins slower than matt :p

Yes, the 9800 should be able to run both better and even get you into the medium to high"ish" areas on some settings.. just stay clear of the density ones (that show the city with every building etc)

For FSX, you need a beefy quad core CPU. Its not GPU bound. That dual core, while it may be an upgrade from your current setup, isnt preferred for FSX.

This setup with a 9800gt should run fsx well? i think this mobo is quad core upgradable, i think.

Scott

p.s. yes it is quad core compatible.

from Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q8200s 2.33GHz 4MB

All the way to

Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9650 3.00GHz 12MB

Thats awesome earth dog. I just want to be able to fly lag free with some detail and scenery. this sucks right now, i pretty much have everything turned down and its very boring, lol, hardly any buildings, trees, other aircraft, effects

I guess when I get the funding i should upgrade to quad core or upgrade the video card?

For that resolution, I would definately get a quadcore and overclock it. Problem is your G41 chipset isnt a great overclocker. You should still have some headroom, but, not much when compared with something not so budget oriented.

wow i just found my sata drive i thought I got rid of and the cable!!!

I take it I should dump that IDE HDD and move everything to my Sata drive.

would this help in loading programs, games, files etc

Scott

Dont know what you mean by faster.
here are the specs of the sata drive:

Western Digital WD800 serial ATA HDD

Drive parameters are:
LBA 156301488
80.0 GB

S/N: WMAM94961777
MDL: WD800JD-22JNA0
DATE: 04 -2005
DCM: HSBAYTJCA

5VDC 0.45A
12VDC 0.50A

JUMPER PINS 1 AND 2 ENABLE SPREAD SPECTRUM CLOCKING

SATA CABLE IS 30 AWG AWM STYLE 2725 80*C 30V VW-1
I this any improvement or no?

thank you,

Scott

We would need to know...

Spindle speed (5400RPM or 7200RPM?)
Cache on each drive.

The higher the better generally speaking.

And the other drive........ Again higher speed and cache is generally better. You should be able to make the choice then..

Back